ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job ads versus job description on reference letter

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vbellino

Job ads versus job description on reference letter

Post by vbellino » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:44 am

Hello All,

In order to answer question 11 and 13 of the form, I'm printing out some adds availables on joserver.com, for instance. I am an IT professional specialized in Business Intelligence, but in the job description of my reference letter, I'm not specifying the BI tools \ specific technologies I've worked with as they are many and I don't think I should detail that much. I wrote for responsabilities:

"
• Investigating and analyzing in detail business requirements related to the implementation of computer systems known as Business Intelligence (BI) systems;

• Specifying the design of the Business Intelligence system that meets the business requirements, including production of technical design documentation;

• Designing and implementing Business Intelligence system databases (Data Warehouse) that provide data to third-party Business Intelligence user interface software resold by our company;

• Designing, programming and testing ETL software that Extract data from existing databases, Transform data and perform data cleansing according to the business requirements and Load resulting data into the Business Intelligence system databases;

• Design, programming and testing additional software features, not covered by the third-party user interface software resold, in order to deliver a complete Business Intelligence system that fully meets all business requirements;

• Planning and working on a completion deadline of the Business Intelligence system implementation in our clients."

However, I'm afraid the caseworker might say my references does not match with the adds, as the adds always lists the tools and technologies required. For instance one of the adds says:

"Senior BI Consultant wanted by leading consultancy. You will be assuming a position of reponsibility within one of the emerging titans of the Business Intelligence market. To interview for this one off opportunity, you will have experience using SQL Server 2000 and 2005, Microsoft based analytical tools, ProClarity, Panorama NovaView, IntelligentApps, Crystal Decisions, Cognos, Business Objects etc, Datawarehousing and ETL tools - DTS, Informatica, AbInitio etc. You will also need to be Degree educated and preferably have a Microsoft certification. You will also have experience of Team Lead positions and possess a hunger to further your leadership abilities. My client is currently interviewing - forward your CV without delay for a rapid turnaround."

In fact, many of those tools are exactly the ones I've worked with.

Senior members from IT area, could you please advise me here? Shall I detail all tools in the letters? I think it will become quite long and boring for a non-IT person to read it.

Any advise is very welcome!

Thanks,

Vinicius