ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are Asylum Seekers allowed to fly on domestic UK flights?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gollywood
Member of Standing

Are Asylum Seekers allowed to fly on domestic UK flights?

Post by gollywood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Eg fly from Gatwick to Glasgow?

The Asylum seeker is still 'in the system' & doesnt have their passport (that is held by the UKBA)

Would he require his passport to fly domestically, or would his Asylum Registration Card suffice?

Or is he simply not allowed to fly domestically?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:00 pm

I don't think that a passport is required for internal flights. However, he may need a photo ID.

Edit: Ryanair seems to require passports.

Therefore, best to check with airlines.
Last edited by vinny on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:01 pm

You need a valid ID to board an airplane. You should check with the airline as to what they deem acceptable within CAA guidelines. Here, for example, are Easyjet's demands:

UK domestic flights
A valid passport - an expired passport can be used up to a maximum of two years after expiry
Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
Valid photographic driving licence
Valid armed forces identity card
Valid police warrant card/badge
Valid airport employees security identity pass
A child on parent' s passport is an acceptable form of ID
CitizenCard
Valid photographic firearm certificate
Valid Government-issued identity card
SMART card
Electoral identity card
Acceptable form of non-photographic ID:
Pension Book
Children under 16 years of age travelling on UK domestic flights can travel without photo identification provided that they are travelling with an accompanying adult.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Lucapooka wrote:You need a valid ID to board an airplane. You should check with the airline as to what they deem acceptable within CAA guidelines. Here, for example, are Easyjet's demands:

Valid Government-issued identity card
SMART card
Electoral identity card
So an Asylum Registration Card might be OK?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:57 pm

How would I know? I've cited Easyjet's requirements by way of example but you have not said which airline you are flying with. Additionally, a Govt. issued ID card seems (to me) to refer to civil servant's ID pass. You need to make your own enquiries with your chosen airline. Probably two clicks of the mouse if you look at their website.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Lucapooka wrote:How would I know? I've cited Easyjet's requirements by way of example but you have not said which airline you are flying with. Additionally, a Govt. issued ID card seems (to me) to refer to civil servant's ID pass. You need to make your own enquiries with your chosen airline. Probably two clicks of the mouse if you look at their website.
Calm down. The site is here to help & guide, not preach about what I should have done! If you dont want to help, you were free to stay away from the thread.

For everyone else, I am just making speculative enquiries to see whether or not they even allow it in the 1st instance. No flights have been booked, no airlines considered!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:20 pm

I am suggesting what you should do rather than what you should have done. There is difference. You keep referring to 'they' in your context of the airline yet have not said which airline.

cobra

Re: Are Asylum Seekers allowed to fly on domestic UK flights

Post by cobra » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:27 pm

gollywood wrote:Eg fly from Gatwick to Glasgow?

The Asylum seeker is still 'in the system' & doesnt have their passport (that is held by the UKBA)

Would he require his passport to fly domestically, or would his Asylum Registration Card suffice?

I travel few years ago with Easy jet from Liverpool to Belfast. And I use my Asylum application Registration card as my ID to travel.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:12 pm

cobra wrote:

I travel few years ago with Easy jet from Liverpool to Belfast. And I use my Asylum application Registration card as my ID to travel.
Thanks Cobra - much obliged. I will see what airlines are available & then contact them individually.

cobra

Post by cobra » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:38 pm

gollywood wrote:
cobra wrote:

Thanks Cobra - much obliged. I will see what airlines are available & then contact them individually.

Excellent! I Wish you all the best.