ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Going on business trip first time - impact to ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rshelar
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Going on business trip first time - impact to ILR

Post by rshelar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi,

I am due to apply my ILR in Jan 2013. So far everything looks good for my case, however I am now required to travel outside UK on a business trip for 10-12 weeks.

As of now my total days out of UK in last 4.5 years have been 125 with none of them being business related and none exceeding 90 days at one time.

This will be the first time I will be going out of UK on business trip - minimum 10 weeks.

What precautions should I take so that this doesnt affect my ILR decision as this will definitely cause my leaves to go over 180 and in a single trip greater than 90 days. Would appreciate any response.

I am on Tier 1 General.

I am working in a permanent job for a UK based employer.

rshelar
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rshelar » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:38 pm

Can someone please help as I need to let my company know next week?

Will a letter from them saying that I am going on business trip be sufficient?

ITGraduate
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ITGraduate » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:37 am

Make sure you get the letter from your employer as per the format on the sticky.

secondly, make sure your employer pays your salary in UK account and dont extend your business visit more than 90 days in a stretch.

I would personally suggest you not to travel more than 180 days , however it doesnt mean than you wouldnt get your ILR.

Good Luck

rshelar
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rshelar » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks IT graduate.

I had a look at the sticky thread. It states - that the trip was needed for business reasons.

I will definitely exceed 180 days, though may not go beyond 90 days at a time.

just want to ensure that I have taken all precautions and not missed anything that could cause problems later. I will be paid UK salary while I am away so that should be fine.

Anything else anyone apart from employer letter?

golu

Post by golu » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:40 pm

I had to travel for few weeks in europe in 2008, I got a letter from my employers confirming that I was needed on project and hence needed to travel, i also got them to add that during the whole period paid I was still company employee, paid as normal and all my expenses were paid for by them.

rshelar
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rshelar » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Thx golu.

Will add that

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:10 pm

if you come back at least once in the middle of your tour of duty, your will avoid the 90 days (at a stretch) limit.

Disclaimer - My opinion only, nothing more....I could be wrong.