ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tier 1 extension - self employment proof

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tier1_selfemployed
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_selfemployed » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi all, I'm in the process of extending my tier 1 general from the UK. As I'm showing income as part of self employment, according to UKBA I need a letter from HMRC confirming that I'm self employed - welcome pack once you register or class2 NIC bills.

I'm missing both these documents as HMRC didnt send a welcome pack (although the application date for self employment is well above 6 weeks and NIC has been made half yearly. My visa is expiring next week and I just 1 week (thanks to my visa consultant who missed this key document in his checklist).

Is there any other way to get around this? I've requested HMRC to send a letter but their ETA is 2 - 3 weeks :-( at the min.

HomeRun21
Newly Registered

Post by HomeRun21 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi,

I am not an expert but I can give you some tips,

a. I had similar problem, I called the HMRC help line and requested to send them my HMRC UTR no and they send me the next day.(Note: I tried with the first person and she said that they wouldnt do it, but I tried again with some other person and explained my position and she was kind enough to do so)

b. Go to online banking and say setup either a DD or SO(Standing order),
and pay Class 2 NIC contribution for the period you have been self-employed.

Note: Make sure you include your NI Number and HMRC NI
as references in your bank statements.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payinghmrc/class2nics.htm#2

c. Call HRMC NI and pay by phone ( My point is if you can prove that you have paid some Class 2 NIC in your bank statemnt, that should be enough, in my personal opinion)

Reference from UKBA website:

If you are submitting self-employed earnings
If you are claiming points for self employed earnings made in the UK, you must provide documents to show that you are registered as self-employed and were registered as self-employed for the period when the money was earned. This is in addition to the documents required to demonstrate earnings.
You must also provide evidence that you were paying Class 2 National Insurance contributions during the period(s) of self-employment. Depending on your circumstances, you must provide:
(if you pay National Insurance by quarterly bill) the original bill - not a copy - from the quarter immediately before your application; or
(if you pay National Insurance by direct debit) a copy of your most recent bank statement issued before the application, showing the direct debit payment of National Insurance to HM Revenue & Customs; or
(if you have low earnings) an original small earnings exception certificate issued by HM Revenue & Customs for the most recent return date; or
(if you have recently registered as self-employed, and do not have any of the evidence above yet) your original welcome letter from HM Revenue & Customs, containing your unique taxpayer reference number.

tier1_selfemployed
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_selfemployed » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks very much HomeRun21 for taking so much time to respond.

I called up almost 4 -5 different people in the HMRC helpline and none of them have sent the letter yet ;-( hard luck...

Another doubt with the direct debit - Will I be able to set up DD only through bank and I see they need a letter to HMRC and it will take 21+ days to process. Also they need the class 2 NIC reference which I have not received yet as the bills have not come yet?

Can you please let me know thoughts?

Many thanks again.

rpsarangi
Member of Standing

Post by rpsarangi » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:00 am

I am not a xpert but .. I think call HMRC and ask them to send you the NI bill till date and it takes 2-4 days to reach you .. Pay that by going to bank and stamp it from bank ..Call HMRC self assessment and ask them to fax you a letter with UTR number . I think you will be ok. All th best.
Fingers crossed.....Trust in God.....

shahjee11

Re: tier 1 extension - self employment proof

Post by shahjee11 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:05 am

tier1_selfemployed wrote:Thanks very much HomeRun21 for taking so much time to respond.

I called up almost 4 -5 different people in the HMRC helpline and none of them have sent the letter yet ;-( hard luck...

Another doubt with the direct debit - Will I be able to set up DD only through bank and I see they need a letter to HMRC and it will take 21+ days to process. Also they need the class 2 NIC reference which I have not received yet as the bills have not come yet?

Can you please let me know thoughts?

Many thanks again.
HMRC will always send your UTR in writing. Dont mention your visa application and stuff like that while you are on the phone with them as that may complicate things for the helpline adviser. Just tell them that you are self employed and you need your UTR for your/ your accountant's records.

I notice from your initial post that your self employment application date is well above six weeks. I cant understand what you mean by that?

tier1_selfemployed
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_selfemployed » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks a lot rpsarangi and shahjee11.

rpsarangi, I have requested for a letter and the bill also, they say it can take up to 2 - 3 weeks minimum. which worries me a lot. I'm more worried because it is already 4 working days from my request date... still expecting it to reach me before its too late ;-(

shahjee11, I mentioned 6 weeks as I was told through the automated response from HMRC that I wud be receiving my welcome pack in 4 - 6 weeks at the max. Although it is more than 2 months I've not received it either...

HomeRun21
Newly Registered

Post by HomeRun21 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi tier1_selfemployed,

My suggestion,

I am not a xpert but .. I think call HMRC and ask them to send you the NI bill till date and it takes 2-4 days to reach you .. Pay that by going to bank and stamp it from bank ..Call HMRC self assessment and ask them to fax you a letter with UTR number . I think you will be ok. All th best.

As mentioned by rpsarangi, call HMRC and they will fax it to you.

Also they need the class 2 NIC reference which I have not received yet as the bills have not come yet?
- You can do a SO(Standing Order) using online banking which will take 2-3 days, and give you normal NI number with XXXXXXXXX(9digits).

3. Make sure you mention in you covering letter about your current position with regards to your NI Letter not available...

4. Another option,
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payinghmrc/class2nics.htm#2
Paying by internet or telephone banking, Faster Payments or CHAPS

CHAPS - this enables you to tell your bank to make a payment that will reach HMRC on the same day provided you initiate the payment within the time specified by your bank (usually between 9.00 am and 3.00 pm).

Mate, PAY THE REQUIRED AMOUNT OF CLASS 2 NI CONTIBUTION WITH YOUR NORMAL NI NUMBER AS THE REFERENCE.

Hope everything goes well and do update us.

tier1_selfemployed
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_selfemployed » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks a lot again HomeRun21! This is very useful. Your final suggestion is my last resort. I got the bill amount and I will pay it through bank and send my statements as proof. Let me see how it goes...

I wasnt convinced myself as that is not considered as a valid proof (it has to be direct debit or original bill or welcome pack). After investing more than 2K pounds this is a bad state to be in....

I will update the thread on how this goes so that it can be referred in future at least. Till then please add any new ideas. Thanks all.

HomeRun21
Newly Registered

Post by HomeRun21 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Use Faster Payments as this will enable to transfer money within 2hrs(Depend upon the bank, but 95% do so). It is better than CHAPS payment.

How are you going to send the bank statement as you will be needing them within few day? Is it going to be a monthly statement or printout from the bank?

tier1_selfemployed
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_selfemployed » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:23 pm

I will doing it today or tomorrow, so that it comes as part of my month end statements. Again printouts wouldnt work again...