ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Preparing my wife's naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lightning187
Newly Registered

Preparing my wife's naturalisation

Post by lightning187 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:37 am

Hi,

I'm after some advice and would appreciate any assistance. My wife was granted her ILR in May 2011 so we are preparing for her Citizenship/Naturalisation application. We have a number of questions regarding the Form AN.

1. My wife has been a full time housewife since she came to the UK and therefore has no income does not pay any taxes. For Section 3, the guide states "If you do not pay income tax through PAYE you must demonstrate that you have discharged your obligations towards the H.M. Revenue & Customs, by attaching a Self Assessment Statement of Account." How can we prepare for this? Can we provide bank statements to show our savings, to prove that my income was sufficient for the household? I earn over £50k and can provide all evidence to support this.

2. Referees for section 5. I am very concerned since we don't personally know anyone who has a professional standing. Can we ask someone like a nurse or doctor at our local surgery? My wife signed up with the practice as soon as she came to the UK in May 2009.

3. Do I need to provide any supporting documents from myself to prove income, employment, savings etc, for this application?

4. Is there anything else we need to watch out or prepare for?

Thanks in advance.

WL.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Preparing my wife's naturalisation

Post by Jambo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:36 am

1. My wife has been a full time housewife since she came to the UK and therefore has no income does not pay any taxes. For Section 3, the guide states "If you do not pay income tax through PAYE you must demonstrate that you have discharged your obligations towards the H.M. Revenue & Customs, by attaching a Self Assessment Statement of Account." How can we prepare for this? Can we provide bank statements to show our savings, to prove that my income was sufficient for the household? I earn over £50k and can provide all evidence to support this.
The guide then says "see page 16" where you can see this requirement falls under self employed applicants. There is no need to provide any employment/tax records if you don't work. Just state she is a housewife and leave the other questions blank.
2. Referees for section 5. I am very concerned since we don't personally know anyone who has a professional standing. Can we ask someone like a nurse or doctor at our local surgery? My wife signed up with the practice as soon as she came to the UK in May 2009.
Doctors and nurses can act as referees. They might charge you for this.
3. Do I need to provide any supporting documents from myself to prove income, employment, savings etc, for this application?
No. It is not required. See the last page of the form for the evidence required. In many cases, just a passport is all that is required. Much simpler than ILR applications.
4. Is there anything else we need to watch out or prepare for?
Just make sure she meets the requirements in particular being physically present in the UK at the beginning of the qualifying period which is 3 years if married to a BC (which I assume you are as she came in 2009 and she applies now).

See more in FAQ - most common questions.