ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mavrick7
Newly Registered

ILR to Naturalisation

Post by mavrick7 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:00 pm

All Senior Members,

I have been reading and re-reading guidelines and the blog but still have not found an answer to my query.

I am due to apply for ILR in June-12 and my employer wants me to shift to Hong Kong at the earliest. As you can imagine I would want to get the ILR and the go.

However my dilemma is:

1) If I am working for a British Company but transferred to Hong Kong - can I still be eligible to apply for Naturalisation considering the guidelines say you cannot be out of UK for more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to applying for Naturalisation.

2) If one is a possibility - is it better to ask my employer to have my payroll in UK rather than Hong Kong?

Has anyone recieved Naturalisation if they were out of the country working for a British Company outside of the UK?

Expert comments will be extremely helpful as this is causing me a great deal of stress.

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 03, 2012 11:22 pm

If you don't live in the UK and don't meet the requirements, you can still apply but your application is likely to get refused.

It doesn't matter you work for a British company unless the company is the UK government or the British army.

AlexS

Post by AlexS » Fri May 04, 2012 10:19 am

But if he goes to HK a few days after applying... should be OK, except for the fact that that he might miss letters from UKBA asking for more documentation, or the approval letter, and he will have to return to UK for the ceremony.
-----
Alex

manoj123
United Kingdom

Post by manoj123 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:33 am

AlexS wrote:But if he goes to HK a few days after applying... should be OK, except for the fact that that he might miss letters from UKBA asking for more documentation, or the approval letter, and he will have to return to UK for the ceremony.
I assume his employer wanted him to go to HK after ILR in June2012. If it got approved, he is asking about eligibility for naturalisation in June2013?

mavrick7,

I know a person who was IT contractor in the UK with an ILR. Was out of the country(was working in the US) and paying taxes in the UK...but still managed to get naturalised. I was really surprised by this and also don't know how exactly he manipulated the application.
Last edited by manoj123 on Fri May 04, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri May 04, 2012 10:38 am

AlexS wrote:But if he goes to HK a few days after applying... should be OK, except for the fact that that he might miss letters from UKBA asking for more documentation, or the approval letter, and he will have to return to UK for the ceremony.
He goes to HK after applying for ILR not naturalisation.

mavrick7
Newly Registered

Post by mavrick7 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:16 am

Jambo wrote:
He goes to HK after applying for ILR not naturalisation.
Guys,

Am talking about if after gainng ILR i leave uk working with the same employer as today but in HK, will i be eligible to apply for naturalisatipn considering i'll be permanently based out if HK with occassional travel to UK on short business trips?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri May 04, 2012 11:21 am

Life isn't fair, but you can be!