ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work permit holder switching to Tier 2 and the English test

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dminus
Newly Registered

Work permit holder switching to Tier 2 and the English test

Post by dminus » Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 pm

I have been finding contradictory answers to the following:

if a work permit holder is changing to Tier 2 while changing the employer, should he/she provide evidence of meeting the English language requirement?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon May 07, 2012 3:49 pm

you need to score 10 points for English language skills. See the Tier 2 policy guidance, page 24 onwards:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

dminus
Newly Registered

Re: you need to score 10 points for English language skills.

Post by dminus » Mon May 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Yes, thanks!
Any chances someone who has been a lecturer in UK for 4 years and has MS/PHD from US, can be exempt from this?

dminus
Newly Registered

re: you need to score 10 points ...

Post by dminus » Mon May 07, 2012 4:32 pm

Actually, the item 118 in the referenced guidance states:
“You will be awarded 10 points if you are applying for leave to remain under Tier
2 (General), ... and you meet the requirements of one of the categories listed below: ... you have ever been granted leave as a: ... Qualifying Work Permit Holder;”

So, it does sound like the requirement is automatically passed by the Work Permit Holders. Am I missing anything here ?

[quote="manci"]you need to score 10 points for English language skills. See the Tier 2 policy guidance, page 24 onwards:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf[/quote]

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon May 07, 2012 4:56 pm

no, you are not missing anything but you also have to satisfy the conditions that come after AND in the middle of p25

dminus
Newly Registered

Re:no, you are not missing anything...

Post by dminus » Mon May 07, 2012 7:23 pm

And this is exactly the part I am having troubles deciphering. It says the following:

“you have not been granted leave in any other categories other than Tier 2 (General),
Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) and those listed above under the Rules in place since
28 November 2008; or
• you have ever been granted leave as a Qualifying Work Permit Holder and have not
been granted leave in any other category other than Tier 2 (Sportsperson) under the
Rules in place since 28 November 2008; or
• or you have ever been granted leave as a Minister of Religion, Missionary or Member
of a Religious Order, and have not been granted leave in any other category other than
Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) under the Rules in place since 28 November 2008; or ...”

If Work Permit is the only thing that I ever had (Since September 2008), does it mean my English requirement is automatically satisfied, so no test will be needed?

[quote="manci"]no, you are not missing anything but you also have to satisfy the conditions that come after [b]AND[/b] in the middle of p25[/quote]