ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Want o know about Tier -1 general dependent maternity rights

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

patelmilanb1

Want o know about Tier -1 general dependent maternity rights

Post by patelmilanb1 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi All,

i am on tier - 1 general and my wife is on dependent visa.. we have living in the UK from last 2.6 years.. my wife is 3 months pregnant. my question is whether my wife is eligible to receive the free NHS hospital treatment or not?..

what happ is that our GP refereed us to northwick park hospital...then hospital sent us a letter with the first appointment on 2nd may...my wife went with all the required documents and then they did the usual checkup and my wife came back.. after 2 days i receive a call from Northwick park hospital saying that i have to pay 450 pound for the appointment my wife had on 2nd.

they are saying that we are not eligible for free treatment...the reason they are giving me is that i (me, Main applicant) is not doing the job and looking for a job right now...and thats why my wife is not eligible for free treatment.

could you please let me know whether this is true? i have to pay 450 pound for the appointment...

the first thing is when my wife went, they never said that we are going to be charged for this...

looking for answers...

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed May 09, 2012 8:09 pm

They are completely wrong; and I'm very surprised that such a large hospital would be so lacking in knowledge or not have the resources to understand the issues, and to send you such a letter. If you are a Tier 1 migrant, you don't need to be employed for your leave to be valid, and your wife's leave is valid if your leave is valid. Don't pay and ask for someone competent (with respect to knowledge of the immigration rules and access to NHS) to deal with your situation.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed May 09, 2012 9:56 pm

There is a difference between the op's visa being valid if unemployed and he and his family being entitled to free nhs treatment. See here:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Enti ... /DH_074381

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed May 09, 2012 10:14 pm

I have never previously encountered this situation (and thanks for indicating it). It seems almost impossible to regulate; asking for business accounts or tax records from the self-employed . Frankly I'm astonished!

Similarly, why aren't students asked to show they are following their course?

patelmilanb1

thank you all for your responses

Post by patelmilanb1 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:17 pm

I have gone through the details you guys have provided. it seems that my wife is eligible for NHS treatment.

the point here is that Overseas manager from northwick park hospital called me for face to face meeting, i went there and the manager seems to not understand the situation and telling me the same thing that i am not working and looking for job at the moment so my wife cant be eligible for that. she is also threatening me in some way saying that if you dont pay then all your details will be passed to UKBA and you will get into trouble with them while extending your visa.

after that i went to CAB (citizens advice bureau), explained the situation and they also told me that my wife is eligible and she dont have to pay for the NHS services. the fact is that i am not working and i am also not receiving the service from NHS...my wife is working and paying taxes and she is receiving the service.

ok so, next day i receive a invoice of 2550 GBP from hospital saying that i have to pay within 5 days or they will start pursuing the payment from us by giving details to external agency. and more to that they will also take 8% interest on that. also within a month they will send my details to UKBA.

wtf, by doing this they are giving me and my wife stress...they never said in the frist place that its gonna be a chargeable service....

pleae guys if you know any links of the law or regualtion...pleae let me know.

here is what i have found on the net.

http://www.maternityaction.org.uk/siteb ... reinfo.pdf

regualtion passed for overseas visitiors in 2011.
================================
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/1556/made

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:51 am

try contacting an immigration lawyer and put forward your case...as far as I am aware as long as you are paying taxes and NI your wife is eligible for free NHS treatment irrespective of whether you are working or not..

s.uk
BANNED

Post by s.uk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Its a fact my wife is pregnant and her delivery is due in Nortwick Park Hospital (Brent,London) Mr Patel when u went to hospital near the maternity ward it s cleary written with big letters to know your rights that ur entitle to NHS free service My wife is British and Mid-wife ask her all the Document Bill,Proof of Address etc even you have been ask but the way you expain to us is incorret i myself has fill the form its written are you enititle to Free NHS service and your immgration Status and they take copy of it as well. Its your mistake u have to ask them properly they must have ask you ITS Tory Governement.IF you want Free Medical service there is one in Royal Hospital in Hammersmith they will treat free without any question being ask