ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

settlement in uk for a non eeu same sex partner

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dubchap
Newly Registered

settlement in uk for a non eeu same sex partner

Post by dubchap » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:07 am

I am a South African citizen, have been living in a long term relationship with a British citizen for the past nine years.
We lived together in South Africa for six years, and for the past three years we have been living and working in Dublin.
We applied for a settlement visa for myself in Dublin, at the British embassy on the 18 February 2003, and a refusal was made for the entry clearance on the 26 February 2003.
It was refused on the grounds that I would be a burden on the states funds.
They were happy with all the information given, that proves we were in a relationship akin to marriage for the past nine years.
My partners mother did write a letter stating that she would support the two of us till we were able to find work and support ourselves.
His mother lives in Wales, and her and her husband have a big home, to be able to accomodate us.
I have no problems finding employment, but was unable to get any, as I have to have a work permit, or the rite to abode in the UK.
This was a difficult situation, as I couldnt get the one without the other.
We did appeal, and this too was refused, on the 4 March 2004.
Please could somebody help. I have never been a burden on states funds in my life.
I pay taxes in Dublin, have a pension fund, and a medical scheme.

Thanx for taking the time to read this

dubchap

noah
Newly Registered

Re: settlement in uk for a non eeu same sex partner

Post by noah » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:44 am

dubchap wrote:We did appeal, and this too was refused, on the 4 March 2004.
Have the tribunal's minutes been put on their site yet? If so, send the link. If not, we'll need to see what they said. Also, did your partner represent you alone at the tribunal?

dubchap
Newly Registered

Post by dubchap » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:14 pm

Hi Noah

Thanx for the quick reply.
Well, the case didnt get to tribunal.
We did not represent at the appeal.
I had given up my employment in Dublin, and we went to the UK.
Things were not looking good for us, so we returned to Dublin, and I went back to my work, before I lost my work permit in Ireland, and was therefore not able to attend the appeal.
I thought I will give it a go in Ireland again, but we are still unhappy here.
I have all the documentation here with me.
I have application forms to attend a tribunal, but they were not sent in within 28 days, is it still possible to send them in, or should I re-apply.

Thanx
Dubchap

vs
Newly Registered

Post by vs » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:03 am

I live in Dublin with my partner. I'm Brazilian and she's Italian. We have gather all the documents to apply for the Unmarried Partner Visa. We've been living together for almost 11 years.

We'll apply through the UK Embassy in Dublin.

We have savings, but I'm not sure how much we need to have to be safe they will not think we can be a burden on states funds.

Does anybody know how much we should have in savings to avoid a refusal?? :roll:

Thanks!

vs
Newly Registered

Unmarried Partner Application in Dublin

Post by vs » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:03 am

I live in Dublin with my partner. I'm Brazilian and she's Italian. We have gather all the documents to apply for the Unmarried Partner Visa. We've been living together for almost 11 years.

We'll apply through the UK Embassy in Dublin.

We have savings, but I'm not sure how much we need to have to be safe they will not think we can be a burden on states funds.

Does anybody know how much we should have in savings to avoid a refusal?? :roll:

Thanks!

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:14 pm

Vs,

Bem vinda.

I guess the amount of money will greatly depend on the couple's circumstances and lifestyle, and this will probably be taken into account.

I guess that if you build your case solidly - that is, showing the correct required evidence that you two indeed have been together for 11 years (bank accounts, utillity bills, phone calls to each other, photographs, travels, etc), you are very unlikely to be denied.

I am sure others will chip in.

Rogério

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:18 pm

Dubchap,

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

Would you guys consider entering into a civil partnership? Since you've been together for so long, then maybe you could go back to South Africa together, and give intent to enter into a Civil Partnership in Britain, and then you'd mostly likely be accepted.

Just a thought, maybe John / others can comment further.

Rogério

Aleksas
Newly Registered

Post by Aleksas » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:37 pm

How important is money?

How much do you need to earn to be able to show that you arent going to need public funds?

How much do you need saved up...?

Can parents send money saying they will do so until you find a job? (would this help, or just be ignored)

If you havent had 'a lot' of money, but never needed public funds, why should they refuse you a visa? Youve always managed so far...?

You can supply 3 months, or 6 months, or even 12 months of bank statements but what do they look for? Is simply not going into the red for the last year enough? Or do you need to have a certain ammount to spare all the time...? What are their criteria...

Lex...