ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

About Full British Driving Licence

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amazighman

About Full British Driving Licence

Post by amazighman » Thu May 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Hello everyone,

i have a full foreign driving licence ( not UK Exchangable) issued to me december 2005, as now i am resident in the United Kingdom , i would like to change it and get a UK one, i know that i have to repass theorical and practical exams,all that after getting a Provisional licence,

my question is once i get my full UK lisence, will it show that i had driving licence since 2005 or it will show only the date i got my new one?

i am asking this because of insurance matters, please guys any help ll be very much appreciated

thanks a lot

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: About Full British Driving Licence

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 10, 2012 4:14 pm

amazighman wrote:my question is once i get my full UK lisence, will it show that i had driving licence since 2005 or it will show only the date i got my new one?
Only the date you are issued a new (UK) one.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

hsmp1412
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp1412 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:35 pm

As sushdmehta says the license will be show the date that it was issued in UK but there are some insurance company's that might be willing to give you the benefit of your previous driving experience if you can get proof of no-claims from your previous insurers. However, this is done on a case by case basis, so the only way to get more information on this is to speak directly to the companies.

amazighman

Post by amazighman » Sun May 13, 2012 6:44 pm

thank you guys for your answers.

i am going to apply for a UK provisional licence, but i dont know if i have to send them my Non exchangeable driving licence.? because it is not clear in their form D1,
do i have to pay the 50 GBP fee?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 13, 2012 6:50 pm

1. You don't need to send your foreign licence.
2. One is required to pay the associated fees, unless exempt.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: About Full British Driving Licence

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 13, 2012 10:12 pm

amazighman wrote: i am asking this because of insurance matters, please guys any help ll be very much appreciated
One might be able to argue that one is not a novice driver, whether an insurance company would accept that is an entirely different matter.