ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Presenting Oneself at the UK Border with a Residence Card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

EUsmileWEallsmile

Presenting Oneself at the UK Border with a Residence Card

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri May 18, 2012 9:51 pm

On arrival, we presented our passports.

IO: Have you completed a landing card?
Us: It's not required because...
IO: I'm sorry, could you give me one moment?
Us: Of course.
IO consults with colleague
IO: I'm sorry for the delay, thanks for waiting.
Us: No problem...
IO warms up stamp
Us: oh and the passport can't be stamped.
IO: Is that so, why is that?
Us: Explained the directive.
IO: Thanks for telling me, that's interesting.

Not at all unpleasant, a very pleasant person to deal with in fact.

seputus

Post by seputus » Sat May 19, 2012 9:10 pm

:)

I have to say.. I had mixed messages from all IOs when I had an EEA2 stamp .. but since receiving my EEA4 sticker, every IO (which I've come to through the UK/EU channel) has looked at it, swiped my passport, sometimes asked me if I'm still living in the UK (which is ok), once asked me if I'm still with my partner (an irrelevant question, but whatever), and never stamped my passport.

I've also never been told to fill out a landing card.

So it's a real improvement!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat May 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Sepetus, that's very encouraging. I'm not so sure that it has to do with PR, RC or family permit, more to do with familiarity. It is slowly getting through.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Sat May 19, 2012 9:42 pm

Well, this 2004/38 directive is in force now for more than six years. And there are already some IO's who have actually heard about it!

My wife has had mixed experiences (to put it politely), both on travelling to other EU countries or returning to the UK. It doesn't seem to matter whether you have an RC or PR, or travelling with your EU partner or not. It is mainly a matter of chance whether you meet a competent IO or not

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat May 19, 2012 9:52 pm

fysicus wrote:Well, this 2004/38 directive is in force now for more than six years. And there are already some IO's who have actually heard about it!

My wife has had mixed experiences (to put it politely), both on travelling to other EU countries or returning to the UK. It doesn't seem to matter whether you have an RC or PR, or travelling with your EU partner or not. It is mainly a matter of chance whether you meet a competent IO or not
Agree completely that IO should know what the documentation is and what to do with it. Much nicer to encounter someone who is pleasant, who is prepared to listen and doesn't mind learning something. I've met others who were really unpleasant to deal with.

loveforlove

Post by loveforlove » Sat May 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi everybody!

This topic is actual for me now as I am going to travel next month. I am non-eea family member and got couple of days ago my residence card that is stamped in my passport.
Do I have to fill in the landing form and get my passport stamped in my case?
What boarding pass should I take while cheking- in, for eea nationals or other?

Many thanks

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat May 19, 2012 10:13 pm

to loveforlove,

Well done for you!

No landing card, no passport stamp, use the EU line.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat May 19, 2012 10:14 pm

loveforlove wrote: What boarding pass should I take while cheking- in, for eea nationals or other?
I take you are asking what line do you take (EU passports or all others)?

loveforlove

Post by loveforlove » Sat May 19, 2012 10:25 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
loveforlove wrote: What boarding pass should I take while cheking- in, for eea nationals or other?
I take you are asking what line do you take (EU passports or all others)?

Sorry I did not specify. Yes, I've meant what line do we have to take. Thanks for your message and greeting words. Finaly I've got my RC after 6 months. As I am non-eea family member of a Bulgarian I was not allowed to get COA and work while waiting. Now I can work with no restrictions.

Good luck

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat May 19, 2012 10:34 pm

It's all here if you need back up information.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

loveforlove

Post by loveforlove » Sat May 19, 2012 10:42 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:It's all here if you need back up information.

Thanks a lot!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat May 19, 2012 10:46 pm

loveforlove wrote:
Thanks a lot!
Don't be disappointed if you are asked for these things, but at least you know where you stand.

smallpie
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

rc

Post by smallpie » Mon May 21, 2012 12:12 pm

hi guys,
i have used my RC number of times in and out of uk. within europe and africa. with and without my EU partner.
i never filled in landing card and my passport never stamped or aske d to be stampe.
but recently i was cumin frm home country in africa, i use d non-eu line and was asked abt landing card and i said i dnt need one and, dat was ok. was asked series of questions abt my eu partner and and i responded as required.
IO , then said i shld wait to go confirm more details, after few mins came bck as said all is clear and if i want my RC to be stamped, its a choice she said, and that (normally it meant to be stamped at 1st use).
i said have used it more then five times in and out of uk and never been told or asked abt stamping.. so i said NO.

at the moment, am out of uk again to FINLAND with my EU partner and our child, on cuming bck i will use the EU line and see what they come up with again dis time..and i share it to the forum.
coz it seems like some of the IO still dont understand that holders of RC & PR can go thru the EU line when entering the UK.
CITIZENSHIP confirmed.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: rc

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon May 21, 2012 8:37 pm

smallpie wrote:...
IO , then said i shld wait to go confirm more details, after few mins came bck as said all is clear and if i want my RC to be stamped, its a choice she said, and that (normally it meant to be stamped at 1st use)...
What you were advised was not correct. EEA family permit holder's is normally stamped on first entry and maybe stamped on subsequent entries, a residence card holder's passport must not be (even if holder requests it).

Bing

Post by Bing » Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:It's all here if you need back up information.

EUsmileWEallsmile, you are so helpful. Thank you!!