ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self Employement

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dylan

Self Employement

Post by dylan » Sat May 19, 2012 6:53 pm

What is the difference between drawing a salary from my business and retaining the profit within the business if I am a sole trader? :roll:

Because UKBA takes the gross if I draw a salary and net if I retain the profit within the business. Does this make any difference to a sole trader? :roll: At the end of the day I would keep all the profits in any case. Please help me to clear this confusion :wink:

feedback556
Newly Registered

Re: Self Employement

Post by feedback556 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:38 pm

dylan wrote:What is the difference between drawing a salary from my business and retaining the profit within the business if I am a sole trader? :roll:

Because UKBA takes the gross if I draw a salary and net if I retain the profit within the business. Does this make any difference to a sole trader? :roll: At the end of the day I would keep all the profits in any case. Please help me to clear this confusion :wink:

hi Gurus, i have the same query as above, can you kindly clarify- from the self employment, if I earn 4k, assuming 1k as expenses, would 3k be considered as earning? or would I need to further deduct the income tax/any other tax from the earning? appreciate the reply.Thanks.

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:56 am

ys 3k would be considered as earning...but do bear in the mind you would need to pay class 2NIC which is a higher amount..

Whilst with limited company concept you draw income as combination of salary(taxable) and dividend(non taxable)..

scorpio_besal
Member of Standing
India

Post by scorpio_besal » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:49 pm

as a sole trader you can claim 3K as net profit, you would need to make sure you are up to date with NI class 2 payments.

At the end of the financial year, when you would file your return, you would need to pay 20% income tax on your NET Profit.

You may pay Class 4 National Insurance, but it depends on the annual profits of your self-employment. Since your income is below £7,605, you make no contributions. Above £7,605 and up to £42,475 you pay Class 4 at a rate of 9%. Above £42,475 you pay additional Class 4 contributions at a rate of 2%
Regards,
A Mutant Member

SPECIAL NOTE:- Thanks for creating such a nice forum where all of us can help each other... BIG THANKS TO THE ADMIN,SENIORS for being there to help others.