ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Part time Research positions - Do they count ??

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

barun_82
Newly Registered

Part time Research positions - Do they count ??

Post by barun_82 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

First of all i would like to thank all the moderators for setting up and maintaining an excellent information forum. Great job...hats off

I am a Biomedical Engineering graduate (Master's) from USA and i am planning to relocate to UK through HSMP.

My profile

1. Age - 24 ----- Points - 5

2. Master's degree ----- Points - 25

3. Work experience ----- Two years as a Graduate research assistant (Technically part time along with the master's program) and almost a year as Full time Research Associate (Current position). Points---------?????????? (Requirement atleast two years in a full time graduate level position)

4. Past earnings ----- Less the specified requirement in Class A (USA) due to part time and research position held. Points------- 0 (i gezz)

5. Significant Achievements --- One international paper in IEEE and two co-author papers Points----15

Thus total points ---- 45 points + 25 (if work exp can be fitted into...)

So my entire application totally depends on how my work exp is accounted for...! I believe the HSMP team generally considers only full time experience, but i do in reality have jus two years part time RA and 9 months of exp in a full time position.

Here r some of my questions...i dont expect neone to actually sit and evaluate my case here....but jus sincerely hope to get some information. and i greatly appreciate ne kind of inputs in this regard (Better to have asked and failed then to have never asked at all...isn't it ?)

1. I am willing to give it a shot neways, but was anxious if its worth it ?

2. If i dont claim any points in the past earnings...is it a negative pointer for my app?

3. How is part time research positions viewed in general by the evaluaters ??? does neone have ne exp in this regard ?

Thanks for your effort,

Bye

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:07 pm

Hi barun_82,
Two years as a Graduate research assistant (Technically part time along with the master's program)
Cannot be considered as it is 1) gained on a student visa, and b) on a part-time basis.
Significant Achievements --- One international paper in IEEE and two co-author papers Points----15
Most difficult area to score in. Know of a couple of doctor friends with around 5-10 articles in international medical journals, but only one managed to get points in this section. Not because he had the most articles to his credit, but because he submitted 2-3 letter of recommendations supporting his claim of "significant contribution to a specific field of medicine".
If i dont claim any points in the past earnings...is it a negative pointer for my app?
Not at all.
How is part time research positions viewed in general by the evaluaters ???
Well, the answer is simple ... it is not "viewed" :wink: (read considered).

regards

Zee_Zee

Re: Part time Research positions - Do they count ??

Post by Zee_Zee » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:54 am

5. Significant Achievements --- One international paper in IEEE and two co-author papers Points----15
As far as I remember from the case worker's guide, no points can be awarded if had co-authors in your paper. That cannot be counted as your achievement alone. I myself have an International Publication in IEEE but with 3 co-authors so I didn't claim points for that.
Regards,

Z Z.

barun_82
Newly Registered

Thanx so ton for your responses

Post by barun_82 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:43 pm

Hi,

I thank you for your responses. So i gezz its in my best interest to apply for the HSMP with my kind for profile without full time experience....! Is tat a fair conclusion ?

Thus it leaves me with the only option to land a job and then ask my employer to sponsor my work permit (which i understand is extremely difficult especially from USA)....or are there any other realistic opportunuties out ter....Kindly feel free to drop your suggestions...!

Bye

thank u all

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Part time Research positions - Do they count ??

Post by pantaiema » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:45 pm

Pople who have done PhD study will know that it is common practice that papers with a lot of co-authors are done based on the principles

"You scratch my back I will scratch yours" to optimise (to multiply) their publications. (The exception is only if it is the name of their supervisors)

Many PhD students just put the name of their collegues ontheir papers(without their collegues contribute anything) with the hope that if their collegues publish something in the journals their collegues will put their name on the papers.

Pantaiema

Zee_Zee wrote:
As far as I remember from the case worker's guide, no points can be awarded if had co-authors in your paper. That cannot be counted as your achievement alone. I myself have an International Publication in IEEE but with 3 co-authors so I didn't claim points for that.

Zee_Zee

Post by Zee_Zee » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:37 pm

Dear pantaiema

I agree to all what you said. But what about the HSMP team? Have they considered anyone's research dissertion with co-authors and granted significant achievement points?

It will be be really beneficial if someone who scored in this category on the basis of research publications shares his idea. Please comment.
Regards,

Z Z.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:55 pm

There is already a log thread discussin about this have a look on this link

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... chievement

Pantaiema
Zee_Zee wrote:Dear pantaiema

I agree to all what you said. But what about the HSMP team? Have they considered anyone's research dissertion with co-authors and granted significant achievement points?

It will be be really beneficial if someone who scored in this category on the basis of research publications shares his idea. Please comment.