ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

unmarried visa help

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

matt510au
Newly Registered

unmarried visa help

Post by matt510au » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:27 pm

Myself and my girlfreind are wanting to apply for the unmarried visa.
i m australian she is british.
we have been living together for just over 12 months in the UK.
we were together for 12 months in australia.
there is a period of around 8 months that we were not living together due to her having to return to the UK. I wasnt able to get to the UK any quicker due to work and family comittments.
Is this suitable for the visa or will this be a waist of time due to the period apart. We were still together during this period but just not living together. how are we able to prove this (e.g) emails phone conversations bank accounts etc.. any other ideas.
Is it better to pay for the 24 hour visa process and take the stress and worry out of the 6-8 week process. Any advice or direction would be wonderfull as we do not know any one else who has applied for anything similar so have no feedback..

thanks

M&D

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:48 pm

I fear that the eight month gap will be a problem. The following is an extract from "DSP" (=ECO staff instructions)
The parties having been living together in a relationship akin to marriage/civil partnership which has subsisted for two years or more
"Living together", should be applied fairly tightly, in that we would expect a couple to show evidence of cohabitation in the preceding 2 year period. Periods apart would be acceptable for good reasons, such as work commitments, or looking after a relative which takes one partner away for up to 6 months where it was not possible for the other partner to accompany and it can be seen that the relationship continued throughout that period by visits, letters etc. Where a couple have been living together for the preceding 2-year period but have been dividing their time between countries and may, for example, have used the "visitor" category, then this will be sufficient to meet the requirement.
You can read the whole thing here, on the UKVisas website.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:25 pm

I echo ppron747's advice: they are quite strict when applying the rules to unmarried partners.

matt510au
Newly Registered

Post by matt510au » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:30 pm

I know this is a bit old now but, i am still here in the UK and have been living with my girlfreind for over 2 years now. (was able to get work permit sponsor)

What is the amount of info needed to prove we have been together for this amount of time.

Rental agreements holidays etc.. are all ok anything else..?

cheers matt

vinny

unmarried visa help

Post by vinny » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:09 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

matt510au
Newly Registered

Post by matt510au » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:11 pm

hi vinny,
thanks for the links, not working for me are they dead?

matt

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:48 pm

matt510au

The HO have recently updated their website so lots of links on here will no longer work.

The website is at http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk

You could try a search for what you want, or go to law and policy from the homepage.

Regards