ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa for parents

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nmehta
United Kingdom

Schengen visa for parents

Post by nmehta » Wed May 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Hello,

I am planning to organise a swiss/europe tour for my parents but have following query. My mother is currently in UK (holding family visitor UK visa but no schengen visa) and father will be traveling to UK (he holds UK family visitor visa and planning to apply for schengen visa from his home country).

My question is, can my mother apply for schengen visa from UK itself as it seems complete waste of money and time for her to go back to her home country just to apply schengen visa and travel back.

Please let me know in case of any query.

Thanking much in anticipation for any help on this query.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed May 30, 2012 10:22 pm

She can try. However, bear in mind that they may ask her to return to her country of residence.

nmehta
United Kingdom

Post by nmehta » Wed May 30, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks for the update... but I am confused as to when she will be asked to return (and why). She has a multiple entry UK visa valid atleast for next 3 months.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:53 am

nmehta wrote:Thanks for the update... but I am confused as to when she will be asked to return (and why). She has a multiple entry UK visa valid atleast for next 3 months.
Generally only UK residents are eligible to apply for a Schengen visa from within. A (family) visitor is not considered resident in the UK.

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Schengen visa for parents

Post by ca.funke » Thu May 31, 2012 11:00 am

What nationality is your mother?

If she is visa-required, she usually has to apply in her home country.

If your mum is dependent on you, the tables could turn: In this case 2004/38/EC could apply, and you would be allowed to travel to the Euro-Zone visa free!

Even if it turns out that she will actually need a visa, the "tour" part of what you plan to do might come in handy... Just write to several Schengen-Embassies, outlining your "tour" idea, and one of the Schengen-embassies might deviate from the rules a bit.

Do tell each of the embassies that you plan to stay in several countries equally long, but the first place of entry will be in <<xyz>>.

Especially if you show interest in small states (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia), they might happily give you a Schengen-Visa to enable you to conduct your tour...

...once you have the visa (possibly of a country you do not plan to visit), you need to change your strategy for entry: If they ask you in (Germany), "why do you have an (Estonian) visa?", the answer is: We plan to tour the Euro-Zone, staying in x and y and z for (2 days each), concluded by (a week) in (Estonia).

Replace everything in () to what you need...

good luck, and let us know how it goes!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu May 31, 2012 8:53 pm

nmehta wrote:Thanks for the update... but I am confused as to when she will be asked to return (and why). She has a multiple entry UK visa valid atleast for next 3 months.
It's all in their guidance, I'm afraid. There are exceptions and you might be lucky. Try the embassies and ask.

nmehta
United Kingdom

Post by nmehta » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 am

Thanks for the replies. I will give it a go.

Your inputs are really much appreciated.

Regards,

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:56 pm

You could have tried with the Embassy of Belgium, but since your mother's visa is valid for the next 3 months only, doubt it will be possible. Best try with some of the other embassies, as advised before.

http://www.vfs-be-uk.com/faqs.aspx#8a

Q. I don't live in the UK, can I apply for my Schengen visa from the Belgium Visa Application Centre in London?

Ans. The Belgium Visa Application Centre in London is available to all UK Residents. If you are a visitor in the UK, you are free to make your application too; however, you need to ensure that your UK Visa or UK Resident Permit (if resident in the UK) needs to be valid for 03 months longer than your intended Schengen visa. Applications from visitors may take upto 15 working to be processed.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:56 pm

nmehta wrote:Thanks for the replies. I will give it a go.

Your inputs are really much appreciated.

Regards,
Hi nmehta,

Did you apply for the visa finally? I am in the same situation, I am british and my family holds 5 years family visitor visa.
It would be helpful if you can advise whether you were able to get the visa for your parents?

Many thanks
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.