ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for / get a new job when visa is less than 1 yr

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

patt

Can I apply for / get a new job when visa is less than 1 yr

Post by patt » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi all,

My current job is at risk (redundancy) and my visa will expire at begining of Feb 2013.

Can I apply for / get a new job when my visa is less than 1 year?as I heard some company required candidate held at least 1 year visa.

Have anyone ever came across this situation? please can you advise.

Thank you very much.

Patt

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:39 am

What immigration category do you have?

patt

Post by patt » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi Lucapooka,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm currently held Teir 1 (general) which will expired on the begining of Feb 2013.

In order to apply ILR, I need 12 months payslip.

If I cannot find a job to fill the gap, I have to out from UK.

Please can you advice

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:37 pm

There is no restriction generally, However, in certain situation, some employers may insist on applicants having a certain amount of time on their current immigration status. That is their prerogative. If there is an extensive and/or expensive period of training necessary for a position it would be false economy to hire someone who may not be around in the future.

patt

Post by patt » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Thank you Lucapooka

tapas_16880

Post by tapas_16880 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:40 pm

I think it doesn't matter as long as the visa is valid. I joined the new employer with my visa expiring in next 4 months.
Tapas Sarkar,
UK

patt

Post by patt » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:20 pm

thank Tapas

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Employers are ignorant. They may want more than a certain time left on the a visa but that just isn't practical. You can't renew a permit until one month beforehand so if you have a valid visa you can apply with less than one month left. The issue is can you renew your visa or extend it or continue to be legal to work under another category. I applied for a job with less than one month to go and the agency freaked out saying I couldnt work. I told them they were wrong and they ran to the client in a panic creating a problem that didn't exist. Lucky for me the employer knew better than the recruitment agency and was fine with my visa with one month left on it and I was able to renew my visa for another year.
Just be firm and tell the employers how can you have a visa that always has a validity longer than x?, it is not possible, it has to be renewed because that is the system and that is how it works.

Miketoms
Newly Registered

Post by Miketoms » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:06 am

Really get the point.