ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual Nationality..

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

andyjohnst

Dual Nationality..

Post by andyjohnst » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi there, I have a question and wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I am the a UK citizen (by birth) and my wife is an Azerbaijani citizen. We are expecting a baby, due in September.

We will be getting the baby a UK passport. We will also have the baby put in my wife's Azerbaijani passport. Unfortunately, Azerbaijan do not recognise Dual Nationality.

This gives us a problem when travelling from the EU to Azerbaijan. To avoid getting a visa for Azerbaijan for my baby in his UK passport he will travel using my wife's passport. Then we have the problem coming back. He will have to show my wife's passport, but he will not have a re-entry visa in the passport for him. We can get this but just seeing if there is a way around this.

Is it possible, to show the Azerbaijani passport to travel to Azerbaijan. Then, when leaving Azerbaijan, show he Azerbaijan passport to board the plane. Then, when we change planes, landing in Turkey, show his UK passport to immigration and get the Turkey visa in the UK passport and travel on wards with his UK passport?

Is it possible to go through one immigration with one passport and show a different passport at destination immigration?

Or do we have to go down the route of getting a re-entry visa for the baby in wife's passport?

Our situation, living in Ireland, me exercising EU Treaty rights. With an EU FAM card holder for 5 years.

Anyone with experience in this, would be great to hear from you.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:27 pm

What at rigmarole! Perhaps you should avoid getting a British passport for the time being (as this can be done at any point later when you know more about the rules) but, instead, apply for a Right of Abode sticker to be placed in the Azer passport. The only downside of this will be that the child can't take advantage of the visa waiver concession for UK citizens when travelling to other states.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/policy ... /ecg/roa1/

andyjohnst

Post by andyjohnst » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Lucapooka - Thanks for the advice. Really though, I don't think I would want to risk taking the baby out of the EU without an EU passport. I've dealt with the British Embassy in Baku before and they have never been a good experience.

Any ideas on the boarding with going through immigration with one passport and using a different passport on arrival? I know you have to use the same passport to enter and leave a country.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:47 pm

Okay, I'll tell you what happens with my kids. They are British and Brazilian. Brazil permits dual nationality but insists that its citizens enter and leave with Brazilian travel documents. They leave Brazil with a Brazilian passport and enter the UK with their British passport. The reverse happens when they return. They board the plane using one passport and show the other on arrival.

So your child can use the azer passport to enter and leave azer, and to leave the UK, but can use the British passport only to enter the UK.

andyjohnst

Post by andyjohnst » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:49 pm

I thought about that but they will most probably check for a UK Entry visa when boarding the plan in Azerbaijan. They probably wouldn't comprehend the fact the baby has another passport with then not recognising dual citizenship.

I'm not trying to shoot everything down you say by the way :) I appreciate your comments.

Ann.J
Newly Registered

Post by Ann.J » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:03 am

when you enter Uk use UK passport and while entering azerbaijan, you are supposed to show them Azerbaijan passport. The airline staff checks if all the required paper work is valid and authentic, ther wont be any issues dont worry:)