ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Quick question - ILR and schengen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rshelar
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Quick question - ILR and schengen

Post by rshelar » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Can someone please tell me if an ILR visa holder still requires a schengen visa?

What if the visit to a EU country is for a business purpose?

Thanks

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:20 pm

ILR gives you indefinite leave to remain in the UK & does not give you the automatic right to enter or remain in any of the Schengen states on its own. Whether or not you require a Schengen visa will depend on your nationality and the passport you hold, irrespective of the purpose of the visit (business or otherwise).

Note: Different rules apply if travelling with a spouse who is an EEA national.

This post would be best moved to the EU forum as it is related to travel in Europe.

rshelar
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rshelar » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I meant for someone who currently requires schengen visa based on his nationality.

Understand that ILR give permanent residency withib the UK, but wanted to have an understanding if there are any benefits to travel in EU.

This is related to a job offer I have and a ILR application that is due in some time. The firm would want to avoid applying for visa each time for a EU visit and were hoping that ILR would remediate that.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:32 pm

rshelar wrote: This is related to a job offer I have and a ILR application that is due in some time. The firm would want to avoid applying for visa each time for a EU visit and were hoping that ILR would remediate that.
Obtaining ILR in the UK will not remove the requirement of having to get the appropriate visa to visit the EU country in question.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:48 am

rshelar wrote:...Understand that ILR give permanent residency withib the UK, but wanted to have an understanding if there are any benefits to travel in EU...
ILR in the UK does not give you a right to travel to any other country.

However, it helps to prove your "willingness to return", thus a Schengen visa will be granted in most cases.