ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child passport confusion.

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dms_sbs

Child passport confusion.

Post by dms_sbs » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:17 pm

My daughter was born in uk before we got ILR. She is 7 months old and we have skipped her ILR. We got ILR recently.But we also did not apply for her Indian passport . Is it important to apply for Indian passport or register her birth in Indian Embassy. We are planning to apply Mn1 certificate her. Is there any benefits of applying Indian passport then applying mn1 certificate. Is there any benefits of registering her birth in Indian embassy. Will all this can help in getting PIO. Seniors Please reply.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:17 am

Searching for information already available in the forum will help you get your answer(s) sooner.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

dms_sbs

Post by dms_sbs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:01 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Searching for information already available in the forum will help you get your answer(s) sooner.
sushdmehta wrote:
gagsingh wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:
According to section 7A of the Indian Citizenship Act the child is not be eligible for OCI until either parent acquires foreign nationality.

thanks for the info.but seems to be illogical for kids who have indian passport before acquiring british passport..
Agree.

Not a legal mind, but I find it strange that the law doesn't seem to allow a foreign citizen minor, who was issued an Indian passport in the past, to apply for OCI irrespective of the parents' nationality. AIUI, any erstwhile Indian citizen who is now a foreign national is eligible for OCI - and thus, such minors (who (had) possess(ed) an Indian passport) should be eligible - but the law seems to state they cannot.

Alternatively, you may apply for PIO card for the child.

So it means that if that if parents are not travelling with UK born child and getting ILR in few months time then there is no point in applying Indian passport for minor to get any benifits for PIO or OCI. We can dirctly apply BC for baby and it would save money as well in surrender of Indian passport. Conclusion is if baby not travelling and parents getting ILR in few months time then we can skip ILR or Indian passport of baby and apply for her british passport. Please let me know if I am right.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:07 am

dms_sbs wrote:My daughter was born in UK but she has not got her british passport yet. She is 7 months old and still we can register her birth to Indian consulate.
Me and wife both are Indian Citizen but have got our Permanent settlement in UK visa in June 2012 this year. My Daughter is not british citizen by birth because when she was born we did not have permanent residency of UK and we were on temporary visa.
My query is can we still register her birth at Indian consulate without any affidavit or letter from UK home office.
And if I get British passport for me by naturilization after 1 year and get my daughter British citizen ship now then can my daughter apply for OCI once I get OCI provided that she has never got Indian passport and never got register her birth at Indian consulate.
If we are not planning to get Indian passport for our minor child who is born in UK then is there any advantage of registering her birth at Indian counslate.

I know I can get her PIO but will she be able to get OCI ever provided that her birth is not register at Indian consulate and she never got Indian passport.
Could any senior and experience please provide this information to us. I have looked everywhere in this form but all confusing information.

dms_sbs

Pl help

Post by dms_sbs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:56 am

sushdmehta wrote:
dms_sbs wrote:My daughter was born in UK but she has not got her british passport yet. She is 7 months old and still we can register her birth to Indian consulate.
Me and wife both are Indian Citizen but have got our Permanent settlement in UK visa in June 2012 this year. My Daughter is not british citizen by birth because when she was born we did not have permanent residency of UK and we were on temporary visa.
My query is can we still register her birth at Indian consulate without any affidavit or letter from UK home office.
And if I get British passport for me by naturilization after 1 year and get my daughter British citizen ship now then can my daughter apply for OCI once I get OCI provided that she has never got Indian passport and never got register her birth at Indian consulate.
If we are not planning to get Indian passport for our minor child who is born in UK then is there any advantage of registering her birth at Indian counslate.

I know I can get her PIO but will she be able to get OCI ever provided that her birth is not register at Indian consulate and she never got Indian passport.
Could any senior and experience please provide this information to us. I have looked everywhere in this form but all confusing information.

Any reply please on this issue.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:50 pm

1. As per the HCI website, if you need to register a (UK born) child's birth then you'll need to provide both an affidavit and a letter from UKBA certifying that the child has not acquired British nationality.

2. Irrespective of whether or not the child has held Indian nationality or passport in the past, the child will be eligible for OCI as and when either parent becomes eligible for OCI.

3. The child will be eligible to apply for PIO as soon as the child acquires foreign nationality.

sera
Newly Registered

Re: Child passport confusion.

Post by sera » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 pm

[quote="dms_sbs"]My daughter was born in uk before we got ILR. She is 7 months old and we have skipped her ILR. We got ILR recently.But we also did not apply for her Indian passport . Is it important to apply for Indian passport or register her birth in Indian Embassy. We are planning to apply Mn1 certificate her. Is there any benefits of applying Indian passport then applying mn1 certificate. Is there any benefits of registering her birth in Indian embassy.

we are in the same dilema....
can someone please help on this issue.

Henryrugal
BANNED

Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver dead at 82

Post by Henryrugal » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:18 pm

The lasting visions of Earl Weaver always will include an irate man with hat askew, kicking dirt and screaming at an umpire. But the Hall of Fame manager was more innovator than instigator.

Weaver, who won four American League pennants and a World Series during his 17 seasons as manager of the Baltimore Orioles, died early Saturday after collapsing during an Orioles-sponsored cruise. He was 82. The cause of death was not immediately revealed.

It was Weaver who pioneered the use of radar guns to measure pitchers' velocity. It was Weaver who kept a stack of index cards to keep track of pitcher vs. batter matchups, long before the computerization of the game's statistics.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:34 am

If anyone's wondering...I've removed the spam link on Henryrugal's post. :wink: