ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 and travel query - Urgent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gpraveenrao
Newly Registered

MN1 and travel query - Urgent

Post by gpraveenrao » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:55 am

Hi all,

My wife and myself got ILR in March this year. We want to apply for registration for my 3 year old son who was born in the UK. He is currently on an Indian passport.

Due to personal reasons, my wife and son need to travel to India for a month or so. In this instance:

1. Can they travel to India and send the completed registration from India? Will this still take the same waiting timelines of 3-6 months (this gap will be too much for all of us to bear :( )?

2. Is there any alternative way to allow them to travel and still apply for the registration?

All help will be highly appreciated!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:03 am

You can expect for the registration application to take (much) more than "a month or so" if any such application are made in India. Since (as I believe to be the case) such applications are processed in the UK, the turn-around time will be more than the average for such in-country applications.
The child will need to apply for settlement visa (under new rules if applying after 08-Jul) before returning to UK.

Also, I stand to be corrected but you cannot apply for registration in a country where the child is not present.
Last edited by geriatrix on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:11 am

You can use NCS which will copy your documents and forward the application to the HO. You can keep the documents. There is a charge for the service.

Please note that the child will need a visa to re-enter the UK.

gpraveenrao
Newly Registered

Post by gpraveenrao » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks Sushdmehta and Jambo.

@Jambo - You said "Please note that the child will need a visa to re-enter the UK."
If my son goes to India with the Indian passport after NCS has returned it and the MN1 is applied for, can he not enter back with the registration certificate which I can post to India once I get it here?

Does he still need another visa and if yes, should I then get an ILR?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:50 pm

A registration certificate is not a travel document. He will either need to have a UK passport or an Indian passport with a visa.

You said they will be going for a month or so. Current timeframes for MN1 application are 2-3 months.

hash
Newly Registered

Post by hash » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:53 pm

I have same sort of question on this topic my son who born in UK doesn't have ILR but he has Citizenship I applied for his passport and due to urgent need I need to travel to Pakistan as soon as possible can he travel on Pakistani passport and come back on basis of citizenship certificate as I mentioned he doesn't have ILR on his passport?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:56 pm

hash wrote:I have same sort of question on this topic my son who born in UK doesn't have ILR but he has Citizenship I applied for his passport and due to urgent need I need to travel to Pakistan as soon as possible can he travel on Pakistani passport and come back on basis of citizenship certificate as I mentioned he doesn't have ILR on his passport?
When did you apply for the passport? Using fast track (for extra cost), you can get a child passport within a week.

gpraveenrao
Newly Registered

Double check

Post by gpraveenrao » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:42 am

Dear Jambo,

Thank you for your help.

I just wanted to clarify, if it is possible for my son to travel to India with his Indian passport after we have applied for MN1 through NCS?

Will the Indian passport not become invalid?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks once again.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:52 am

Your child will not become British until a registration certificate is issued.
Use of Indian passport for travel after 3 months of acquiring foreign nationality carries financial penalties.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Double check

Post by Jambo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:58 am

gpraveenrao wrote:Dear Jambo,

Thank you for your help.

I just wanted to clarify, if it is possible for my son to travel to India with his Indian passport after we have applied for MN1 through NCS?

Will the Indian passport not become invalid?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks once again.
As stated before, the issue is not the travel to India but to re-enter the UK without a visa (and Registration certificate is not a replacement for a visa).