ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) - English Language Requirement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dellfan

FLR(M) - English Language Requirement

Post by dellfan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:18 am

Hello Members,
I am applying for my Wife FLR next week , and got UK Naric letter for the bachelors degree. Letter just says that her degree is equivalent to UK bachelors degree but doesn't specify that degree was taught in English.

I just checked the degree on the Points calculator database on UKBA website and the degree is on the database.

Will the degree certificate enough to show the evidence along with UK Naric letter or do we really need NARIC to state that the degree was taught in English? Please note the degree is taught outside UK and not from Majority English speaking country

Any advice is really appreciated.

Many Thanks

s.uk
BANNED

Post by s.uk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:03 pm

no thtat not enough she has to give Mandatory english test as per requirnement of UKBA

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: FLR(M) - English Language Requirement

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:30 pm

dellfan wrote: I just checked the degree on the Points calculator database on UKBA website and the degree is on the database.

Will the degree certificate enough to show the evidence
Yes, if you get 10 points for it.
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 pm

s.uk, please don't guess at an answer. sushdmehta is correct.

dellfan

Post by dellfan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. Very Much appreciated.

vertex
Newly Registered

Post by vertex » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi guys,

I'm in a similar situation... where the degrees came back from Naric without any statement to the English part.

The Points Based Calculator has the degree in the database, but when selected, shows 0 for the English points.

In the linked document, it reads:
How do I meet the new requirement using my degree taught in English?

The applicant can meet the language requirement if they:

(A) have obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational
qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC (the National Recognition
Information Centre for the UK) to meet the recognised standard of a
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, from an educational
establishment in one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda;
Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana;
Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and
the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; the UK; the USA; and provides the
specified documents; or

(B) have obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational
qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard
of a Bachelor's or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, and (1) provides the specified evidence to show he has the qualification, and
(2) UK NARIC has confirmed that the academic qualification was taught or
researched in English
, or

(C) have obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational
qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard
of a Bachelor's or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, and provides the
specified evidence to show:
(1) s/he has the qualification, and
(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English
In this instance, it seems that the requirement is not satisfied... can someone please confirm?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:01 pm

vertex wrote:I'm in a similar situation... where the degrees came back from Naric without any statement to the English part.

The Points Based Calculator has the degree in the database, but when selected, shows 0 for the English points.

In this instance, it seems that the requirement is not satisfied... can someone please confirm?
How old is the letter from NARIC? And what does it say?

vertex
Newly Registered

Post by vertex » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:49 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
vertex wrote:I'm in a similar situation... where the degrees came back from Naric without any statement to the English part.

Please bear with me... I'll check when I get home to give you the exact wording.

s.uk
BANNED

Post by s.uk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:01 pm

sushdmehta how can you get 10 points and how you know unlees applied that UKBA will give 10 points

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:10 pm

s.uk wrote:sushdmehta how can you get 10 points and how you know unlees applied that UKBA will give 10 points
Use the PBS calculator and you will know.

Tip - Stop responding to queries that you do not know the answer to. I see that most of your posts are ill-informing people looking for accurate information - forcing others to correct your mistakes.

vertex
Newly Registered

Post by vertex » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:22 pm

sushdmehta wrote:

Apologies for the delay in coming back. The letter was only received last week and is worded:
Country of Qualification: India
Title of Award: Master of Science
Awarding Institution: XXX
Year of Completion: XXX
Assessment: Is considered comparable to a British Master's degree standard
As stated earlier, no mention of Engilsh equivalent.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:53 pm

It's not about equivalence; it has to be taught in the English Language

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:11 pm

vertex wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:

Apologies for the delay in coming back. The letter was only received last week and is worded:
Will need to take an approved test.

vertex
Newly Registered

Post by vertex » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:55 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
vertex wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:

Thanks!

vertex
Newly Registered

Post by vertex » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:57 pm

My spouse to be has 4 degrees and 1 diploma. For the diploma and 3 degrees, what I wrote above is accurate and the points based calculator shows 0.

However, for one degree (a Masters of Philosophy degree), even though there is no to the degree being taught in English in the UK Naric letter, the points based calculator does award 10 points for the English component on this degree. Also, for this particular degree, we only have the provisional certificate, and wonder if this will be valid for the purposes of spousal visa and meeting the English requirement?

vertex
Newly Registered

Post by vertex » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 pm

A read into the immigration laws, specifically, section 281 reads...
281. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom with a view to settlement as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement are that:

(i) (a)(i) the applicant is married to or the civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement; and

__ __(ii) the applicant provides an original English language test certificate in speaking and listening from an English language test provider approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, which clearly shows the applicant's name and the qualification obtained (which must meet or exceed level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference) unless:

(a) the applicant is aged 65 or over at the time he makes his application; or

(b) the applicant has a physical or mental condition that would prevent him from meeting the requirement; or;

(c) there are exceptional compassionate circumstances that would prevent the applicant from meeting the requirement; or

__ __(iii) the applicant is a national of one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Canada; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; United States of America; or

__ __(iv) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification(not a professional or vocational qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, from an educational establishment in one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and The Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; the UK; the USA; and provides the specified documents; or

__ __(v) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, and

(1) provides the specified evidence to show he has the qualification, and

(2) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English, or

__ __(vi) has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:

(1) he has the qualification, and

(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English.

or...
So, Section 281 i) a) vi) does not clearly mention anything about provisional certificates. Yet, it clearly states here (under SET 17.8.1) that they do not accept provisional certificates.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

vertex
Newly Registered

Post by vertex » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:09 pm

I must clarify that the requirements I'm enquiring about are to do with the spousal visa, and not the FLR(M).

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:14 pm

The requirements are the same because the category is the same. One is an application outside the UK and the other is an application from inside the UK.

vertex
Newly Registered

Post by vertex » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Lucapooka wrote:The requirements are the same because the category is the same. One is an application outside the UK and the other is an application from inside the UK.
Fair enough... if anyone is able to help with my question, it'll be greatly appreciated.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Immigration rules specify the law, not how or in what manner the law must be complied with. For that, there is policy guidance.

vertex
Newly Registered

Post by vertex » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:20 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Immigration rules specify the law, not how or in what manner the law must be complied with. For that, there is policy guidance.
Do you know if these policy guidance items are publicly available?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:31 pm

vertex wrote:Do you know if these policy guidance items are publicly available?
You also know but haven't realized it yet.
vertex wrote:Yet, it clearly states here (under SET 17.8.1) that they do not accept provisional certificates.

vertex
Newly Registered

Post by vertex » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:28 am

sushdmehta wrote:
vertex wrote:Do you know if these policy guidance items are publicly available?
You also know but haven't realized it yet.
vertex wrote:Yet, it clearly states here (under SET 17.8.1) that they do not accept provisional certificates.
This totally sucks, but will have to do. Thanks for your help Sushdmetha.

sakkzk
Newly Registered

FLR M English Language Requirements

Post by sakkzk » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:15 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
vertex wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:

I am confused now as I am in a smilar situation, the UK NARIC letter states that the degree is equivalent to a UK Bachelor's Degree , doesnt mention it being taught in English . When I called UKBA the girl whom i spoke to said I still need a letter from the University saying it was taught in English and I would have to select option (C) in Section 5.3 of the FLR (M) form.

But when I emailed a copy of the degree to my lawyer he said it should be fine.

I also read this quote:
Degrees taught in English:If you have an academic qualification which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's degree, we will accept this as evidence that you can speak and understand English to level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. Therefore you do not need to take a test.
This is the link from where the quote was taken.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... e-partners

I would appreciate feedback on this matter.