ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travel to ireland

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

optimist
Newly Registered

travel to ireland

Post by optimist » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:51 pm

Hi
Iam an UK work permit holder(limited leave to remain) holding an indian passport.Am I allowed to travel to ireland(Dublin) on a 2 day wrok visit without any ireland visa.

Please clarify

Thanks

kimleach
Newly Registered

Post by kimleach » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:00 pm

Hi
I am also on a work permit. We went to Ireland just last month on the ferry - they don't check your passport. They only ask that you have some proof of who you are - you can even show them your drivers licence - as long as it has a photo of you. They didn't even check ours when we went in, but they advised us to have some sort of identification.

Hope this helps
Kim

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:24 pm

Here is a list of countries who do not need a visa:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/ ... #id3153326

Ireland is quite open to visitors, but Indian nationals do need a visa.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:35 am

Ireland has its own and quite separate immigration policy from the UK and holding a UK residence permit does not exempt you from needing an Irish visa if your nationality requires one.

Although it is true that immigration control between the UK and Ireland is usually quite relaxed, be aware that your passport will ALWAYS be checked by Irish immigration officials when arriving at Dublin International airport.

All foreigners (except UK citizens who can use a drivers license) require a valid passport or national identity document (in the case of EU citizens) to enter the Republic of Ireland. Do not make the mistake of trying to enter Ireland with a UK drivers license if you are not a UK citizen. You will be refused entry if you are caught and almost certainly deported.

You may get away with not having a passport or visa by entering Ireland overland from Northern Ireland or by ferry from the UK mainland, but if you find yourself in a situation where you need to produce your passport to the police (at a roadblock for example) you will be in trouble.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Rover8098

Post by Rover8098 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:51 pm

Dawie,
You say only UK citizens can enter ROI with a photocard driving license. The photocard license does not state your nationality, so how can the immigration authorities distinguish between British citizens and non-citizens? The only thing stated on the license that could potentially raise the question of nationality is the country of birth (if it's not the UK), but surely immigration officials and airlines are more concered about confirming your identity? I spoke to AerLingus and they advised me that I could travel to ROI with my UK drivers license as proof of identity.
Even if your country of birth is not the UK, how will the Irish authorities know that you are not a British citizen? There are thousands of people who were not born in the UK, but are British citizens.
Can anyone provide some clarification over this?

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:09 pm

Dawie's post is absolutely clear, to me.
The only additional clarification that might be appropriate is a few questions:
  • Are you a British citizen? No - from what you say
  • Are you a citizen of a country whose citizens need visas for Ireland? Yes - from what you say
  • Should you therefore get a visa before going to Ireland? Yes.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

optimist
Newly Registered

Thanks friends

Post by optimist » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi
Thanks for your suggestions.That gives me an idea now.