ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my employer ask me to leave?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

theuniverse

Can my employer ask me to leave?

Post by theuniverse » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I applied for an EEA2 application almost a month ago and my employer is asking me to leave my job, because I'm not able to provide them

COA. I keep calling and writing to Home Office, but they say it's still under consideration and they need to validate my application. Is there

anything I can do to save my job? And can my employer ask me to leave because as a matter of fact I'm legal to stay and work here?

Thanks!

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: Can my employer ask me to leave?

Post by thsths » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:58 pm

theuniverse wrote:And can my employer ask me to leave because as a matter of fact I'm legal to stay and work here?
No, the employer cannot ask you to leave, and the employer cannot terminate your contract for this reason either (but they might do it anyway!). You have to understand that the employer gets threatening (and most likely incorrect) letters from the UKBA, so you should talk to HR about it. They have to make a difficult and potentially expensive decision, so try to give them the evidence they need to understand that you are working legally.

theuniverse

Post by theuniverse » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:00 am

Thanks for your reply. I wonder if I ask them to call the employers' helpline, will it be enough of a proof for them(any idea what the helpline could tell them?). Thanks

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:47 am

How long have you been working at the job?

Are you married ot the EU citizen?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:28 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

theuniverse

Post by theuniverse » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for your replies, I've at this job for over 5 years now and yes I'm married to the EU citizen. Thanks for the link, vinni, very informative.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:58 pm

You have a right to work. If UKBA is unwilling to confirm that to an employer, you might have grounds to sue.

Maybe ?? have the employer call the employer helpline.

theuniverse

Post by theuniverse » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks for your reply, Directive/2004/38/EC, I gave my employer the number to call, which they will call maybe tomorrow, but I called it myself and explained that my employer is asking me for COA which I cannot provide since UKBA is still considering my application, he then asked me same question as you did- how long I've been with the company and if I had a EU spouse residence card when I joined the company, then he said my company can call them and they would confirm they won't be liable to pay any penalty for having me as their employee. Hopefully when the company calls they will get the same answer...

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:52 pm

Work closely with your employer. Make sure they called, and make sure they got the positive answer. If they got a negative answer, have them call back again with you in the room so that you can guide the phone call to a good conclusion.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:14 pm

ask him to give the reason in writing and when you have it SUE his mule on unfair dismissal.

you can even complaint now to head office of your company about you being harrased by him