ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused.com

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

planner82
Newly Registered

Confused.com

Post by planner82 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:19 am

Hi guys

I need some clarifications. I have applied for an ILR on spousal basis. I am confused about how do I go about obtaining British citizenship?

Is it different from Naturalisation? If so, how do I go about it?

What is right of abode? Do I have to apply for this separately?

Plus do I automatically get British Passport or do I have to apply for that separately? Do I have to give up my current nationality for this? I am so confused and UKBA website confuses me more.

I would be grateful if anyone could clarify on this. Cheers.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:21 am

planner82
Newly Registered

Confused.com

Post by planner82 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:57 am

I have checked out the link before I posting my original message. I would like to know once I go through the naturalisation via form AN, is there anything else I need to do to get right of abode and British passport? Thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:07 pm

What you need to do depends entirely on your circumstances, your status, who you are married to, how long you have lived in the UK, and any periods of absence. Any clairvoyants on the forum should jump in now with their comments and suggestions.

planner82
Newly Registered

Confused.com

Post by planner82 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:10 pm

I would be grateful if anybody else could answer my query clearly. I do not believe in clairvoyants and this isn't the site for those sort of talk anyway.

Is there anyone else apart from Lucapooka who could kindly answer my query - do I have to do anything else, once I go through the naturalisation process to gain British passport. Also I want to know do I have to apply for Right of adobe separately. I have been in the UK since 2004.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:45 pm

If your application for naturalisation is successful, then after the citizenship ceremony you become BC. All BC have right of abode. BC may, if they wish to, apply for a British passport.

With regards to your current nationality, then it depends on that country laws. Some countries (US for example) allow multiple nationalities. Some (India for example) don't.

planner82
Newly Registered

Confused.com

Post by planner82 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks Jambo, that answers my query to the point. Cheers