ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CSI: could it be covered by EEA member state insurance?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

englishgreek
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

CSI: could it be covered by EEA member state insurance?

Post by englishgreek » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:09 pm

I have two brief questions that have been baffling many friends currently applying for British citizenship - they all have (different) EU citizenships at the moment.

Straight to their points, then!

1. Re. CSI - the UKBA in its communication states this has to be "private comprehensive medical sickness insurance". Would it not be possible to argue that public insurance from another member state (ie an NHS equivalent) that covers the applicant abroad does not constitute a burden to the UK taxpayer and should therefore be accepted as equally valid? Should this be the case, would any forum members know what documentation might be accepted as proof? I would assume an EHIC card plus a letter of confirmation from the EEA member state Health Service (the NHS equivalent) confirming they covered the applicant would suffice?

2. Reg. the residential requirements, particularly the rule claiming the applicant must have been present in the country on the day of application plus five years prior to it.

This causes ultimate confusion! Suppose one was to claim residential eligibility based on this five year rule (plus one year of waiting). Suppose they had five years of residence, from 01 Jan 05 to 01 Jan 10. Suppose they apply today, on 07 Jul 12. Would they have to be in the country:

a) on 01 Jan 05 (ie five years from the day they received ILR)
b) on 01 Jan 06 (ie five years from the day they received ILR, PLUS the one year of waiting) OR is it
c) on 07 Jul 07 (ie five years from the date of application, full stop)

Any help at all would be mostly appreciated ;-)

englishgreek
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

erm, small correction

Post by englishgreek » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Replace ILR with PR (permanent residence), I guess, as we're talking EEA-route applications. Apologies.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:32 pm

1. A non-UK EHIC is accepted by the HO as proof of CSI. CSI is only required if the EEA national is not working. It should cover the EEA national if student. It should cover the EEA national and family members if self-sufficient.

2. (c) - the 5 years for naturalisation start 5 years before the day the application is received by the HO.

englishgreek
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

thanks!

Post by englishgreek » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Jambo, my sincere thanks! :D

I have another - final - question, if you have the time.

They are also concerned about the five year rule - having worked in the country for five years, one of them has a two-month gap where they were technically unemployed (though not claiming benefit). It was July-August, between jobs. I would imagine (though don't seem to be able to find anywhere in paper) that any interruption below three months should not matter; I mean, it's logical isn't it - they can't really expect you to be employed for five years consecutively without the slightest of breaks.

Could you confirm the above is correct - and/or alternatively, what are the breaks allowed in the five year qualifying period? (Note - not absences from country; just abstaining from employment).

Cheers
:wink:

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:23 pm

The 5 years are about exercising treaty rights. Employment is one of the ways to do so but not the only one. You can also be job seeker (or self employed/student/self sufficient).

I would be surprised if 2 months gap between jobs would cause any issue with obtaining PR confirmation for EEA national.

I would consider applying first for PR confirmation using form EEA3 rather than applying directly for BC. The application is free and would flush out any issues without risking the £850 application fee for naturalisation. The downside is time. The application takes 2-3 months.

englishgreek
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by englishgreek » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Many thanks once again, jambo, you saved the day. Yeah, applying for PR confirmation with EEA3 sounds very sensible indeed, and it will be their next step.

Thanks again!

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Post by aledeniz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:44 pm

englishgreek wrote:Many thanks once again, jambo, you saved the day. Yeah, applying for PR confirmation with EEA3 sounds very sensible indeed, and it will be their next step.

Thanks again!
Just to confirm, I got PR via EEA3 with an almost 3 months long gap between jobs, on which I was mostly abroad on wedding/honeymoon "duties" :)

To be on a safer side, I added on my EEA3 application a document proving I did actually looked for a job at some point in that period (a letter from a perspective employer commenting on the results of a job interview).

englishgreek
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by englishgreek » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:42 pm

Just to confirm, I got PR via EEA3 with an almost 3 months long gap between jobs, on which I was mostly abroad on wedding/honeymoon "duties" :)

To be on a safer side, I added on my EEA3 application a document proving I did actually looked for a job at some point in that period (a letter from a perspective employer commenting on the results of a job interview).[/quote]

My belated thanks, aledeniz, very useful to know. I have passed this on. Can't see how a two month break would comprise interruption to the time required for PR; there must be a time until which it does not matter, and surely (my guess!) that would be three months, at least. They'll be applying through EEA3 by the looks of it, so we should know soon. I'll post an update here once I have one.

Thanks again!