ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Living in India with OCI card

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

samrat_g

Living in India with OCI card

Post by samrat_g » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi All,

I have a settlement visa (ILR) of the UK. My wife and son have the same on their Indian Passport. By the end of this year, I will be eligible to apply for British Passport. At this moment I am not sure whether I will settle in this country or will go back to India. In order to mitigate this uncertainly, I have decided that ONLY I will apply for British Passport and OCI card. Hope this will allow me visa free travel both ways. My family will remain with their Indian passport.

Eventually, if I decide to go back to India then my son will be able to get admission as a normal citizen of India (no need to pay hefty NRI fee) but at some of time if we decide to come to the UK (for my son’s education) then I could bring them back to this country without any hassle because of being a holder of British Passport. I would imagine that his present ILR will not be valid if we come back after 5 years and perhaps I have to apply for another visa to bring them into this country.

The above plan is for my son education and prospect in long term.

Please, the senior members could comment on the followings:

Is there any problem living in India and working with an OCI card?

How difficult it could be to get back my Indian citizenship if I stay in India continuously for 5 year? Any bureaucratic hassle?

Does my plan mentioned above sounds good? Any pros or cons about the above plan of me having British citizenship and keeping my family with Indian passport (reasons explained above).

Lastly, how much time will it take to get every thing sorted, I mean from application of British citizenship to OCI card.

I look forward to your suggestion.

manoj123
United Kingdom

Re: Living in India with OCI card

Post by manoj123 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:40 pm

samrat_g wrote:Hi All,

I have a settlement visa (ILR) of the UK. My wife and son have the same on their Indian Passport. By the end of this year, I will be eligible to apply for British Passport. At this moment I am not sure whether I will settle in this country or will go back to India. In order to mitigate this uncertainly, I have decided that ONLY I will apply for British Passport and OCI card. Hope this will allow me visa free travel both ways. My family will remain with their Indian passport.

Eventually, if I decide to go back to India then my son will be able to get admission as a normal citizen of India (no need to pay hefty NRI fee) but at some of time if we decide to come to the UK (for my son’s education) then I could bring them back to this country without any hassle because of being a holder of British Passport. I would imagine that his present ILR will not be valid if we come back after 5 years and perhaps I have to apply for another visa to bring them into this country.

The above plan is for my son education and prospect in long term.

Please, the senior members could comment on the followings:

Is there any problem living in India and working with an OCI card?

How difficult it could be to get back my Indian citizenship if I stay in India continuously for 5 year? Any bureaucratic hassle?

Does my plan mentioned above sounds good? Any pros or cons about the above plan of me having British citizenship and keeping my family with Indian passport (reasons explained above).

Lastly, how much time will it take to get every thing sorted, I mean from application of British citizenship to OCI card.

I look forward to your suggestion.
1. This is the wrong section for this topic. Mods please move this to appropriate section

2. Should have made little effort to search the boards as this has been discussed numerous times and there is a recent threadabout it.

3. You naturalisation application will likely get refused if UKBA finds out you are not meeting the future intentions requirement

4. Senior members (or any user infact) cannot make the decision process easy for you by saying "Excellent plan please go ahead". Browse through the threads, read opinions and make decisions accordingly.

5. Approx timelines for naturalisation(3months)+passport(3weeks)+surrendering of Indian passport (1 week)+ OCI (3weeks). So you are looking at 5-8months.

brummie

Post by brummie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:55 am