ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

re: housing benefit - urgent

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

islamhady
Newly Registered

re: housing benefit - urgent

Post by islamhady » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi

I am a british citizen and my wife is here on a 2 year settlement visa. I am due to apply for an extension to her visa in september, because she has not fulfilled the 2 year term.

Previously by a moderator here, I was told that housing benefit shouldn't be a problem, but now I have been told by an immigration officer that it is and that I should stop it immediately otherwise my wife will be refused to extend her visa.

I need to know is this true? and what happens now if it is, would it affect her application in september? even if i stop HB now.

Plz respond back asap as i am very worried..

Siren

Post by Siren » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:33 pm

can you be a bit more vague? housing benefit for whom?

islamhady
Newly Registered

Post by islamhady » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:41 pm

I am claiming housing benefit, we have 2 kids and my wife lives with me. But i am the one claiming the benefit, my wife is on the application but the claim is under my name.

I have spoken to 4 immigration solicitors and all have confirmed to me that there shouldn't be a problem. But when I call the immigration bureu they tell a different story and that my wife will be refused if i continue to take housing benefit.

I was told by a moderator called John back on the 7.3.11 that as I have a child at home there shouldn't be a problem.

Now I am confused, do I play it safe and cancel the housing benefit or what should i do?

Siren

Post by Siren » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Siren

Post by Siren » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:08 am

islamhady
Newly Registered

Post by islamhady » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 am

Hi

I am jointly claim tax credits with my wife for both work and child tax credits, as I've been told that it's a fraud not to add my wife.

Will that affect her visa status? As the claim is jointly in our name?

Siren

Post by Siren » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:40 am

The answer to that question is given more than once in that same threaded already posted...

islamhady
Newly Registered

Post by islamhady » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Sorry for that I didn't see it

I just need to understand one thing from that article it states that HB is not an issue. But when I call the immigration bureau they have told me 100% that it will effect her visa even if I am claiming not her. As it shows that I am not
maintaining her without public funds.

This seems to be a grey area where I keep getting different advice. Id appreciate a solid answer will it affect her visa or is not.

I'd really appreciate it as I know u keep getting asked this question 1000 times.

Thanks

wqzh
Newly Registered

Post by wqzh » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:11 pm

But when I call the immigration bureau they have told me 100% that it will effect her visa even if I am claiming not her. As it shows that I am not
maintaining her without public funds.

By which law they can refuse your wife's ILR? Lot's of adviser on telephone have not been fully trained, they always give wrong information, if you take actions according to their advice, you have to keep worry. You need check the documents from home office official website.

Siren

Post by Siren » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:44 pm

If you read the post carefully u would see that HB should be claimed for u only in ur name and not with spouse on the claim so that u don't get more money as a result of her being included...

to be honest I can't understand how something of such critical importance and urgency as u claim has not been enough to cause u to diligently study the information in the link recommended where the course of action u need to take is clearly explained...

If if that's important to u, u would really take the time and effort to avail yourself of that advice...

Hope u manage to sort it..

islamhady
Newly Registered

Post by islamhady » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:07 am

I have done my research before applying, but when u hear different stories from qualified professionals you have every right to worry and ask around.

Anyway the matter has been cleared and I appreciate your help

Siren

Post by Siren » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Glad u got it sorted

The importent point is that u don't get more benefits with ur wife than u would have as a single guy except for tax credits which is allowed.

Best of luck...

faz28

Post by faz28 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:37 pm

islamhady wrote:I have done my research before applying, but when u hear different stories from qualified professionals you have every right to worry and ask around.

Anyway the matter has been cleared and I appreciate your help
Hi can u tell me how ur matter was cleared. Recently my husband(ilr holder) applied for housing benefit. He put my name & even I signed it(I have no recourse to public fund). I'm worried now.