ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

42k Job offer in London

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

adi_khaneng

42k Job offer in London

Post by adi_khaneng » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:51 pm

I have been offered a job in London for 42k. I am an Electrical Engineer and am working on wind farm jobs.

Is 42k enough in London. Please advise. Many thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Depends on your out-going expenditure.

adi_khaneng

Post by adi_khaneng » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:57 am

The city where I am now Stafford is not as expensive as London.

All the increment that I would be getting in terms of salary will be going towards rent and traveling for Job. The only thing intriguing is I will have more responsibilities as an electrical engineer and this role would provide me a stepping role in Project Management (Electrical)wise.

Just want to get an idea what others think.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:54 am

adi_khaneng wrote:The city where I am now Stafford is not as expensive as London.

All the increment that I would be getting in terms of salary will be going towards rent and traveling for Job. The only thing intriguing is I will have more responsibilities as an electrical engineer and this role would provide me a stepping role in Project Management (Electrical)wise.

If your question is whether 42K is a competitive salary for an Electrical Engineer in London, then I'm afraid you probably won't get many responses from an immigration forum such as this. You'll be better of googling to find out what the salary range is for your profession in London.

But if the question is whether 42K is sufficient to live on in London, then again as already stated it will depend on your outgoings & personal lifestyle. As you already live in Stratford which is part of Greater London, I presume you are thinking of moving to Central London where the cost of living is higher. Additionally you do appear to know that you will be paying more for rent and travel based on the above post. Whether or not the amount stated is sufficient will depend on the above and your other outgoing expenses.

varghesejim
India

Post by varghesejim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:24 pm

adi_khaneng wrote:The city where I am now Stafford is not as expensive as London.

Yes, probably your extra income will go towards travelling and rent. 42K is a decent salary for London in my opinion. There are engineers who earn well below that salary in London. From my prespective, getting more salary on paper is advantageous even though the saving potential remains the same with a lower salary outside London. For example, when you apply for a mortagage, you could get a higher amount. Also, the overall professional exposure in London can be better compared to other cities.

crazy_ram
United Kingdom

Re: 42k Job offer in London

Post by crazy_ram » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:27 pm

adi_khaneng wrote:I have been offered a job in London for 42k. I am an Electrical Engineer and am working on wind farm jobs.

Is 42k enough in London. Please advise. Many thanks
I hope you already found the answer for your query....

have fun.. :D

anp
United Kingdom

Post by anp » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:30 am

Its a very good salary. Providing you don't already have many financial commitments, or addictions, £42K is a very good salary. To rent an average one bedroom flat in zones 2-3, you will need to pay between £800-£1200 per month. The rest of the living expenses are somewhat similar to most European capitals.
Be good.