ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - 10 year long residency - how many days absent allowed?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

catnap2012
Newly Registered

ILR - 10 year long residency - how many days absent allowed?

Post by catnap2012 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:17 am

Can someone confirm if it's true that only 6 months, that is 180 days, are allowed out of the UK in the 10 years for long residency eligibility?

I know it's 180 days for ILR coming from a Tier 1 visa after 5 years, so I would have thought it could be 320 days for 10 years.

zchay3e

Post by zchay3e » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:08 pm

540 days in total. No more than 180 days in one go. Also, no gaps. See rules.

ladykg
Newly Registered

Post by ladykg » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi I am new in this forum, but been reading the posts for quite a while and found this forum as very helpful and useful.
I would like to seek and advice before deciding whether I should stay and carry on or just leave the country. I know it's like 4 more years to go to be eligible to apply under "10 yrs long residency", but I'd like to plan ahead.

I landed in the UK in October 2006 as a student and been extending my stay in the same category until March 2010 when I got my PSW until March 2012. I had to leave the country on the last day of my visa expiry, as I couldn't get extension. I then applied for entry clearance as student in Tier4 category and entered UK on 27 June.
Does anyone know if the long residency duration has been broken with the gap of 3.5 months and re-entering the country in different category?

Would appreciate any advice and info.

pokhreligautam

Post by pokhreligautam » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:43 pm

ladykg wrote:Hi I am new in this forum, but been reading the posts for quite a while and found this forum as very helpful and useful.
I would like to seek and advice before deciding whether I should stay and carry on or just leave the country. I know it's like 4 more years to go to be eligible to apply under "10 yrs long residency", but I'd like to plan ahead.

I landed in the UK in October 2006 as a student and been extending my stay in the same category until March 2010 when I got my PSW until March 2012. I had to leave the country on the last day of my visa expiry, as I couldn't get extension. I then applied for entry clearance as student in Tier4 category and entered UK on 27 June.
Does anyone know if the long residency duration has been broken with the gap of 3.5 months and re-entering the country in different category?

Would appreciate any advice and info.
Hi,
If you had left the country with valid leave to remain and re-entered the UK within 180days then your continuous residency in UK has not been broken,

ladykg
Newly Registered

Post by ladykg » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks a lot for prompt response pokhreligautam. Yes, I left the country on the last day of my leave, which was 13 march and re-entered on 27 june, so it works out less than 180 days :)

FaeLLe
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re:

Post by FaeLLe » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:44 pm

ladykg wrote:Thanks a lot for prompt response pokhreligautam. Yes, I left the country on the last day of my leave, which was 13 march and re-entered on 27 june, so it works out less than 180 days :)
My interpretation of the current law indicates your residency period has been broken as indicated on http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

The reason for this is because your Tier 1 PSW leave expired out of country and there was a gap of more than 28 days before you applied for your new leave with which you re-entered on 27 June.

Quoting the website,
If the applicant’s leave expires whilst they are outside the UK and they apply for new entry clearance more than 28 days after their previous leave expires, then the continuous period is broken and leave is not aggregated.