ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1: Do I need a second extension for ILR

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

goodssb

Tier 1: Do I need a second extension for ILR

Post by goodssb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:03 pm

I entered into the UK 2.5 months after my initial visa started. Now I have extended my visa. However, by the time my current visa expires, I will be 2.5 months short of 5-year criteria for ILR.

I have been getting conflicting advices from different solicitors. Someone say I need to extend my visa for one more time because I can only submit my ILR application 28 days before my visa expires. Others say I don't need to since I entered into the country within 3 months of the start date of my initial visa.

I don't know who I should listen to now, so I'd like to get clarification from this forum. Can anyone help please?

Much appreciated.

ups

Post by ups » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 pm

I think you will need another extension, as you need 5 years in the UK to apply for an ILR.

varghesejim
India

Re: Tier 1: Do I need a second extension for ILR

Post by varghesejim » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:54 pm

goodssb wrote:
I don't know who I should listen to now, so I'd like to get clarification from this forum. Can anyone help please?

Much appreciated.
You need not extend more than once. See the link

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:20 pm

goodssb wrote:I entered into the UK 2.5 months after my initial visa started. Now I have extended my visa. However, by the time my current visa expires, I will be 2.5 months short of 5-year criteria for ILR.

I have been getting conflicting advices from different solicitors. Someone say I need to extend my visa for one more time because I can only submit my ILR application 28 days before my visa expires. Others say I don't need to since I entered into the country within 3 months of the start date of my initial visa.

Much appreciated.
Can you provide the following information to begin with:
  • Date of EC:
    Date of Entry to the UK:
    Date current leave to remain expires:
I presume here that you entered the UK as a Tier 1 General migrant even though not mentioned in this post, as you have posted the question under that forum?

goodssb

Post by goodssb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:32 pm

varghesejim wrote:
goodssb wrote:

Much appreciated.
You need not extend more than once. See the link

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=
Thank you very much for the reply. This is really good news.

goodssb

Post by goodssb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:38 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
goodssb wrote:I entered into the UK 2.5 months after my initial visa started. Now I have extended my visa. However, by the time my current visa expires, I will be 2.5 months short of 5-year criteria for ILR.

Much appreciated.
Can you provide the following information to begin with:
  • Date of EC:
    Date of Entry to the UK:
    Date current leave to remain expires:
I presume here that you entered the UK as a Tier 1 General migrant even though not mentioned in this post, as you have posted the question under that forum?
I came into the UK under HSMP visa.
Starting date of initial visa: 1 aug 2008
Date of entry to the UK: 18 Oct 2008
Extended my visa in 2010. Current visa expires on 1aug 2013.

So it seems that because I entered the UK within three months from the start date of initial visa, I could apply for ILR when my current visa expires under the new rule?

tier1Reading

Post by tier1Reading » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:52 pm

You can apply on or after Thursday, July 4, 2013.

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd ... &ad=28&aw=

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:02 pm

I came into the UK under HSMP visa.
Starting date of initial visa: 1 aug 2008
Date of entry to the UK: 18 Oct 2008
Extended my visa in 2010. Current visa expires on 1aug 2013.

So it seems that because I entered the UK within three months from the start date of initial visa, I could apply for ILR when my current visa expires under the new rule?
You will be eligible to apply 28 days before the 5th anniversary from your EC date. I.e.1 Aug 2013 - 28 days.