ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

work authorization

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

padjester
Newly Registered

work authorization

Post by padjester » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:20 am

Hi

I am a South African living in Ireland with my husband, who is here on a work permit. I qualify for the work authorization scheme (I understand the whole process). The embassy in South Africa advised me that I could apply for the work authorization in Ireland. When I enquired here at GNIB, I was told that I have to leave the country and come back with the authorization. I contacted the Irish embassy in England, to see if they would process my applicantion, they told me to hand it in South Africa. So, what I need clarity on is: Is there any way that I can have my work authorization processed in Ireland while I am in the country? Any advice will be appreciated.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:35 pm

i got my work authorization in dublin few years ago but i know the visa section in burgh quay stopped to do this because they are busy with other stuff. i know the irish embassy in london got loads of requests to do the work visa/authorization. i have heard people been turned down by the irish embassy because the irish embassy london getting too many request. well, go to check with the visa place inside gnib in burgh quay in dublin and see if you can do it in other irish embassy in EU(e.g. france or germany) instead of going back to south africa. it doesnt make sense if you have to fly all the way back for a 30 mins process. isnt it? i am sure some of the irish embassy in the rest of the eu countries are not as busy as the one in london.

i think the irish embassy in south africa is right. at the end of the day, who has the final say about the visa stuff to come in the country. the irish embassy abroad? or the dept of foreign affair in the country. i guess you know the answer yourself. if you still have no joy in the dept of FA in burgh quay. try the irish embassy in other eu countries instead. at least it saves you to fly all the way back to SA for this, so good luck!

padjester
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by padjester » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks Mktsoi, I'll give the others a try.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:09 pm

According to the Dept of Trade & Enterprise, http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... sation.htm
Applications for Working Visas and Work Authorisations are accepted from persons outside the country only. Applications must normally be made through the Irish Embassy/Consulate in the applicant’s country of permanent residence and applicants may be required to attend for personal interview. If there is no Irish Embassy/ Consulate in the country in question, the application may be made through any Irish Embassy/Consulate, through the applicant’s reference in Ireland or direct by post to the Visa Office, Department of Foreign Affairs, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland.

Have you checked up on your entitlement to a Work permit? Changes to legislation mean that spouses of Work Permit holders are also entitled to work permits. The employer must apply on ther behalf. Read more at http://www.entemp.ie/publications/labou ... ermits.pdf

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:58 pm

According to the Dept of Trade & Enterprise, http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... sation.htm
Applications for Working Visas and Work Authorisations are accepted from persons outside the country only. Applications must normally be made through the Irish Embassy/Consulate in the applicant’s country of permanent residence and applicants may be required to attend for personal interview. If there is no Irish Embassy/ Consulate in the country in question, the application may be made through any Irish Embassy/Consulate, through the applicant’s reference in Ireland or direct by post to the Visa Office, Department of Foreign Affairs, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland.

Have you checked up on your entitlement to a Work permit? Changes to legislation mean that spouses of Work Permit holders are also entitled to work permits. The employer must apply on ther behalf. Read more at http://www.entemp.ie/publications/labou ... ermits.pdf

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:02 pm

I know a south african who had their work authorisation issued in germany and the other by the irish consulate in edinburgh. Also if you have a work permit and you qualify for work authorisation you can switch by simply going to the GNIB, however this is only possible for nationals who dont require a visa for Ireland.