ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian Passport Surrender & Indian Visa

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

valluvan

Indian Passport Surrender & Indian Visa

Post by valluvan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Some of my friends say that you can club the Indian passport surrender and India Visa application together. Once you apply for the surrender of the Indian Passport, VFS gives a receipt using which we can apply for the Indian Visa at the same time. Is this the case? if it is then it would definitely speed up the process as we have booked our tickets to India on the 29th!.. Can anyone confirm this please?

valluvan

Re: Indian Passport Surrender & Indian Visa

Post by valluvan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:21 pm

valluvan wrote:Some of my friends say that you can club the Indian passport surrender and India Visa application together. Once you apply for the surrender of the Indian Passport, VFS gives a receipt using which we can apply for the Indian Visa at the same time. Is this the case? if it is then it would definitely speed up the process as we have booked our tickets to India on the 29th!.. Can anyone confirm this please?
Good news. Got the surrender certificate today. All in all 4 days for the certificate. Really impressed.Appplied for the Visa today. Hoping to get it before friday as the flight is in the weekend. Anyone how long in CGI bgham takes for a Visa for a Child?

valluvan

Post by valluvan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:39 pm

valluvan wrote:
valluvan wrote:Some of my friends say that you can club the Indian passport surrender and India Visa application together. Once you apply for the surrender of the Indian Passport, VFS gives a receipt using which we can apply for the Indian Visa at the same time. Is this the case? if it is then it would definitely speed up the process as we have booked our tickets to India on the 29th!.. Can anyone confirm this please?
Good news. Got the surrender certificate today. All in all 4 days for the certificate. Really impressed.Appplied for the Visa today. Hoping to get it before friday as the flight is in the weekend. Anyone how long in CGI bgham takes for a Visa for a Child?
For the benefit of others:

We got the visa today. Timelines below

Surrender Certificate applcation Submission: 26-Jul-2012
Surrender Certificate Ready for collection: 31-Jul-2012
Indian Visa Application: 31-Jul-2012
Indian Visa ready for collection: 2-Aug-2012

It took 4 working days for surrender and 3 days for Visa. Notificed that around 10.30 A.M the status for online tracking the application changes and the text/sms gets sent out at 1.30PM

avtarjain1980

Thanks valluvan

Post by avtarjain1980 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks valluvan,
I was looking for same information for last 1 hour.
Timeline is clear now.
cheers
AVTAR

russ_software
Newly Registered

Post by russ_software » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:17 pm

I wanted someone to clarify the law regarding surrender certificate
According to the Section 8 of the Citizenship Act 1955, The provisions for making a declaration of renunciation under Indian citizenship law require that the person making the declaration be "of full age and capacity". Therefore shouldnt the fine and fees be only applicable since i became 18 years of age?

Any clarification?

veenas127
Newly Registered

Post by veenas127 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi

I obtained British nationality by naturalisation on 20th Nov 2013.
I immediately I had to travel to India on emergency without even applying for British Passport. I travelled on Indian passport.
I came back to UK in June 2014.
I now applied for British passport and waiting to receive next week.
Once I receive British PP I want to surrender my Indian passport and then want to apply for OCI and Indian visa as I have to travel again in August 2014.

Will there be any grave concerns for staying in India for 6 months after acquiring foreign nationality?
But I was not holding British passport during my stay in India, so I could not surrender my passport in India.

Can anyone please advise what will be the consequences or anyone had a similar experience like me

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:51 pm

veenas127 wrote: I now applied for British passport and waiting to receive next week.
Once I receive British PP I want to surrender my Indian passport and then want to apply for OCI and Indian visa as I have to travel again in August 2014.

Will there be any grave concerns for staying in India for 6 months after acquiring foreign nationality?
You'll need to pay penalty (£145) for use of indian passport beyond the 3 month grace period. This fee needs to be paid prior to the issue of surrender certificate.
It's unlikely that OCI would be ready by Aug, so you may need to apply for visa.

dushysingh
Newly Registered

Post by dushysingh » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi,
I’ve made an online application for OCI for which I’d two queries. It'll be helpful if I can get response from forum members:
1. In the ‘Passport’ details section of ‘Part A’ of online form, do I need to give my Indian Passport details or my UK passport details
2. I don’t have the surrender certificate for my Indian passport. Can I get my surrender certificate and OCI done from HCI London?

man4uni

Post by man4uni » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:38 pm

dushysingh wrote:Hi,
I’ve made an online application for OCI for which I’d two queries. It'll be helpful if I can get response from forum members:
1. In the ‘Passport’ details section of ‘Part A’ of online form, do I need to give my Indian Passport details or my UK passport details
2. I don’t have the surrender certificate for my Indian passport. Can I get my surrender certificate and OCI done from HCI London?
1. British Passport Details
2. Nope. Surrender Certificate is done by VFS. If you are in West London, Hounslow VFS would be the nearest one.

For more details check - http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surenderind_pass.html