ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizen Moving to UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fillmore
Newly Registered

Irish Citizen Moving to UK

Post by fillmore » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:41 am

I Will Be Moving to the UK in the near future, I am An Irish Citizen.

Do I have to register with UK Immigration or UK police??

What type of papers do I need for work & Drivers License?

I currently hold An American ( Mississippi )/Canadian (Alberta) Drivers License,
Can I Transfer These License`s ? Or do i have to get an International License first?

Thanks 8)

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 am

As an Irish/EU citizen you are entitled to live and work in the UK. Production of your Irish passport to any employer and to the Jobcentre with whom you will need to register to get a National Insurance Number should be sufficient assurance of your right to to take employment. You don't need to register with UKBA, although you could ask them to issue a Residence Permit if you wish, and you certainly don't need to register with the police.

Info on Driving Licences is here:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... DG_4022561

If you don't have an Irish Licence you can drive on your Canadian/USA licences for up to one year, within which time you could apply for a Provisional Driving Licence and take a test. After one year you could only use a UK Provisional or Full Driving licence. Beware, though, if you are stopped by the police for a "Fixed Penalty" offence when you only have a foreign licence. You could then not be dealt with by a fixed penalty, you would have to go to court and if found guilty you have then acquired a criminal record, which might be a problem for you at some stage in the future.

fillmore
Newly Registered

UK Drivers License

Post by fillmore » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Thank you Mr Rusty for answering.

So basically I need to apply for a UK license ASAP.

A criminal record is not what i am looking for, considering I dont have one now!

The driving test I assume? would be a standard test ,Written & Driving? Or do I have to start as if I have never had a Drivers License? I Cant just Transfer?

I Have 20+ years Clean driving experience here in North America, But the rules are different in UK / Ireland.

Thanks very much . 8)

simmo

Post by simmo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:04 pm

You may be able to exchange your Canadian licence. See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... DG_4022562 to check if you qualify.

Also the following may be of interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Tra ... in_Britain

fillmore
Newly Registered

drivers lincense transfer

Post by fillmore » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:47 am

Thanks for the links Simmo..,& Mr Rusty .

This is the information I was looking for.

8)

vomc1987
Newly Registered

Post by vomc1987 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:18 am

Thank you Mr Rusty for answering. Image

fillmore
Newly Registered

A HOLE vomc1987

Post by fillmore » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:30 am

8)