ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization by Irish Descent and Associations

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jazzercise90
Newly Registered

Naturalization by Irish Descent and Associations

Post by Jazzercise90 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:32 am

My mother is an Irish citizen by way of Foreign Birth Registration. I would like to naturalize by way of Irish descent. I have heard that residency can be waived for those in my position, and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how often this happens?

BrightonJohn
Newly Registered

Post by BrightonJohn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 am

Did your mother gain citizenship via the FBR system before you were born? If so, you can apply to be an Irish Citizen by going down the FBR route as well, using her FBR certificate (amongst other documents) as evidence.

If she gained her citizenship after you were born, I don't think that you can apply.

Jazzercise90
Newly Registered

Post by Jazzercise90 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:11 am

BrightonJohn wrote:Did your mother gain citizenship via the FBR system before you were born? If so, you can apply to be an Irish Citizen by going down the FBR route as well, using her FBR certificate (amongst other documents) as evidence.

If she gained her citizenship after you were born, I don't think that you can apply.
Hi, thanks for your reply. She was registered through FBR after I was born. I know I cannot apply for FBR because of that, but I am told that I can apply for naturalization by for people of Irish decent and associations, and that the 5 year residency requirement can be waived. So what I am asking is whether people on this board who have undergone naturalizations for people of Irish descent or associations have any knowledge of the residency requirement being waived.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:42 am

Jazzercise90 wrote:
BrightonJohn wrote:Did your mother gain citizenship via the FBR system before you were born? If so, you can apply to be an Irish Citizen by going down the FBR route as well, using her FBR certificate (amongst other documents) as evidence.

Hi, thanks for your reply. She was registered through FBR after I was born. I know I cannot apply for FBR because of that, but I am told that I can apply for naturalization by for people of Irish decent and associations, and that the 5 year residency requirement can be waived. So what I am asking is whether people on this board who have undergone naturalizations for people of Irish descent or associations have any knowledge of the residency requirement being waived.
The residency requirement can and does get waived. I can only advise from my personal situation.
I had exact scenario as yourself. I applied after being resident in Ireland for only a year and was approved. However that was still when there was a huge backlog and it took 3 years for approval. Nowadays the approval times are much shorter.

Jazzercise90
Newly Registered

Post by Jazzercise90 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:15 am

jhbmike wrote:I had exact scenario as yourself. I applied after being resident in Ireland for only a year and was approved. However that was still when there was a huge backlog and it took 3 years for approval. Nowadays the approval times are much shorter.
Thanks jhbmike! I am excited that there is such hope for a waiver. I am considering doing a work holiday in Ireland for one year, so this would be a good situation for me. Can you leave the country after you lodge an application?