ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel without residence card for Non-EEA EU family members

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fatefull

Travel without residence card for Non-EEA EU family members

Post by fatefull » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:25 am

Is it possible to go through UK Border without having residence card stamp? I am Russian, and currently settled in UK. I didn't have a EEA family permit since I already lived in UK on a student visa before I got married here. I haven't applied for a residence card yet but I have all the documents needed ready. I need to go back to Russia now, but if I send my passport to apply for a residence card it would take a while.

So the question is: can I travel home to Russia and on my way back to UK prove that I have rights to stay here? I have my passport, my husband's passport, marriage certificate etc.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:43 am

Is your student visa still valid?

You don't need to have a Residence Card to enter the UK as a EEA family member and can provide proof at the border. The problem is getting to the border as without some kind of a visa, you won't be able to board the flight (because Russian are visa nationals).

fatefull

Post by fatefull » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:44 am

No, my student visa has expired in June.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:46 am

If you need to travel now, then you will need to apply for a EEA Family Permit from Russia before returning.

Or if you got a Schengen visa, you can fly to France or Belgium and enter by train from there.

toabetterchange

Post by toabetterchange » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:48 am

[quote="Jambo"]If you need to travel now, then you will need to apply for a EEA Family Permit from Russia before returning.

Or if you got a Schengen visa, you can fly to France or Belgium and enter by train from there.[/quote

hello Jambo, can I ask if travelling by train from london to france, do they check our visas? What kind of train dont do this? Because it seems eurostar check if u have visa... :(

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:12 am

toabetterchange wrote: hello Jambo, can I ask if travelling by train from london to france, do they check our visas? What kind of train dont do this? Because it seems eurostar check if u have visa... :(
They do check for visa on the train. However, unlike flights, the immigration checks by UKBA are done before boarding the train (so there is no immigration check when arriving to London). This allows you to "get to the border" and prove you are a family member before boarding the train. When taking a flight, you deal with the airline before the flight and they will not allow you to board without a visa (if visa national).

On the way to France, the French authorities will check for your visa (if needed and travelling alone) already in London.

fatefull

Post by fatefull » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:19 am

Just as we brought this up... You still can't travel to France without Schengen if you're a visa national, even when with UK residence card?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:58 am

fatefull wrote:Just as we brought this up... You still can't travel to France without Schengen if you're a visa national, even when with UK residence card?
If you travel alone and visa national for Schengen, you will need a Schengen visa. With the RC you can travel visa free if you travel together (or joining) your EEA partner.

toabetterchange

Post by toabetterchange » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:04 pm

Thank you Jambo!

aylintum
Newly Registered

Re: Travel without residence card for Non-EEA EU family memb

Post by aylintum » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm Turkish and settle in UK. with EEA1 femily permit visa last january,now my visa will be expired in July
l going to apply to EEA2 residence card next month in April, but problem is l need to go to Spain (my husband country) for our wedding celebration in September, and return to the UK. with my husband, but l know that its complicated to travel without visa and not enouhg just COA, but some of forums says it's possible. l'm completely confuse, could you give me any advise please?

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Re: Travel without residence card for Non-EEA EU family memb

Post by Richard W » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:11 am

fatefull wrote:So the question is: can I travel home to Russia and on my way back to UK prove that I have rights to stay here? I have my passport, my husband's passport, marriage certificate etc.
I think you'll have problems if you have neither a visa nor your husband with you. I'm not sure to what extent you have access to your husband's country.