ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Passport for my kids born in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Guest199
Newly Registered

Applying for British Passport for my kids born in UK

Post by Guest199 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:48 am

Hi

Me and my wife got the ILR recently.
we have two kids they born here in UK. they got indian passports with 2 years dependent visa.
do i need to apply for there british passport direct or do i need to
handover the indian passports then apply for BP.

can some one tell me more about british passport how to apply.
thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:51 am

You first need to apply to register them as British citizens.

See Q1 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - Children.

Guest199
Newly Registered

Post by Guest199 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:10 am

Ok thanks

i got one more question, as it is mentioned that child can apply for
registration as MN1, and then they can travel for more than 1 year to india.

mean while if registration come as BC then need to apply for British passport, so what i have to do i should wait until childrens return back to UK on indian passport or i can apply on there behalf.?

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:29 am

Guest199 wrote:Ok thanks

mean while if registration come as BC then need to apply for British passport, so what i have to do i should wait until childrens return back to UK on indian passport or i can apply on there behalf.?
They would not be able to enter UK if they do not have a valid visa. As you now have ILR, their dependant visa is no longer valid (i am assuming that you did not apply for their ILR a the same time as you did).
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:01 pm

Guest199 wrote:Ok thanks

Passport application should be made in the country the applicant is present so they should apply for a passport from India. Please note that this can be a long process (several months).

Guest199
Newly Registered

Post by Guest199 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi Push,

I would lke to make my statement clear,

I got ILR (under 10 years)
and then I applied my wife as FLR(M) with two kids. they got 2 years.
then I applied only my wife ILR and she got ILR.
But kids are on FLR(M) 2 years dependent visa.
now I was planning to apply my kids for MN1 (registration) because they both born in UK. but they have to travel to India.
So my questions are as follows:

1) Can I apply for kids MN1 and they can travel to india or not?
they have to be here while application is under process?

2) If Home Office approves MN1 and give registration , and kids are
in India, still the visa FLR(M) dependant is valid for them to travel to UK
or visa is invalid because they got approval of MN1 in UK.

3) kids have to come UK for apply british passport ot they can apply for British passports in India.?

please Jambo/Push answer me in details for all consiquences ?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:53 pm

1) Yes, you can apply. There is no requirement for them to be in the UK during the application. You will need to apply via NCS so you will keep the passports.

2) The main issue would be with the Indian authorities as India doesn't allow dual nationality so once MN1 is approved, they lose their Indian nationality.

3) Passport can be applied from India (although the process is much longer).

Guest199
Newly Registered

Post by Guest199 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks

So my kids cannot come on dependent visa to UK after they get MN1 approved.
so they have to apply british passport from India and return Indian passports to Indian Authorities.?

so its better if they go to india now and return after 1 year with dependent visa and then apply from here on MN1? do you suggest me this way. please advice .

as travel is urgent cannot be avoided. or pospond.

please advice

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:00 am

Guest199 wrote:Thanks

So my kids cannot come on dependent visa to UK after they get MN1 approved.
so they have to apply british passport from India and return Indian passports to Indian Authorities.?

so its better if they go to india now and return after 1 year with dependent visa and then apply from here on MN1? do you suggest me this way. please advice .

as travel is urgent cannot be avoided. or pospond.

please advice
Both options are possible. It's your decision.

If they apply later for citizenship, there is the extra cost of dependant visa. If they apply for a UK passport from India, it is a much longer process (3 months) compared to the UK (3 weeks).

I can't comment on the Indian authorities requirements (if it is possible to surrender an Indian passport in India) as I'm not familiar with them.

Guest199
Newly Registered

Post by Guest199 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks Jambo,

I have desided.

My kids already have 2 years dependent visa (FLR)M when I applied with my wife. so they already have Dependent visa.

now I am applying for MN1 through NCS and then they will travel.
they will come back after 1 year from India.

can they come on indian passport to UK after a year once they got MN1 approved here mean while. or there nationality automatic cancel.? because i dont want to apply BC from India and not disclossing to Indian authority for there MN1 approved.

my plan is once they get MN1 (registration) while they are in india. I want them to come UK after 1 year and apply british passport here in UK. is it possible.?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:17 pm

I believe the Indian authorities apply penalties for travel using Indian passport after 3 months of acquiring another nationality.

I suggest you ask questions related to India, in the "Other countries" section of the website.

harshil223
United Kingdom

Post by harshil223 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:15 pm

Guest199 wrote:Thanks Jambo,

can they come on indian passport to UK after a year once they got MN1 approved here mean while. or there nationality automatic cancel.? because i dont want to apply BC from India and not disclossing to Indian authority for there MN1 approved.

my plan is once they get MN1 (registration) while they are in india. I want them to come UK after 1 year and apply british passport here in UK. is it possible.?
I think India does not allow dual citizenship so once children get MN1 approval, they are registered as British Citizen. So they lose Indian nationality. So if you need to bring them back to UK, you should consider applying for UK passport from India. Any specific reason why you don't want to apply for passport from India? I am in similar situaion and I am considering applying for UK passport from India.