ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help! Want to marry my US fiance, I'm in Canada

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

holly28
Newly Registered

Help! Want to marry my US fiance, I'm in Canada

Post by holly28 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:56 am

Please somebody help me. I'm so confused right now. My fiance and I just got engaged, and we hate being so far away from each other. I am a single mom with full custody of my daughter ((no father named on birth certificate)). Would it be easiest for us to get a fiance visa, or get married first and then apply for a spousal visa? If we marry and apply for the spousal visa, which country do we get married in? If we go that route, how long would I have to wait until my daughter and I could move to the US? I would also like to study in the US to become a nurse. Please please help!

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:54 am

If your objective is going to the US as soon as possible, I would recommend either being married in Canada and applying for a K3 visa, or applying for a K1 fiancee visa and getting married in the US. See here.

holly28
Newly Registered

Post by holly28 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:17 pm

my objective is to be with my fiance as soon as possible, with minimal hassel. I've heard some people say that had they known what was involved with the K1 they would have rethought their relationship. I don't want my fiance to freak out about this. Would it be easier to get a marriage liscence in Canada and get married, or is it easier to file a K1, get married in the states before the paper work is finished, and adjust the application to a K3? TIA

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:16 am

You shouldn't get married in the US without a K1 visa unless you are not planning to live there. That's the theory at least, I don't know what happens to those who break the rules. Your legal options are: 1) apply for a K1 visa and get married in the US when you get it, 2) get married in Canada and apply for a K3 visa, 3) get married in Canada and apply for an immigrant visa, 4) get married anywhere and move to Canada. The fastest way may be the second one, but anything you do will involve waiting.