ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Doubt (WP or TWES)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Edi Xeus
Newly Registered

ILR Doubt (WP or TWES)

Post by Edi Xeus » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:21 pm

Thanks to the team at immigrationboards for such a wonderful site.

I am an IT professional and I have completed my 4 years in the UK.

I landed in UK in June 2000, and changed my job in June 2001 and working for the same company since.

I'll be applying for my ILR shortly. My question is, I am not sure whether my first year of work is based on a WP or TWES. Is there any way to identify whether my Permit is a normal WP or TWES. Do TWES explicitly have TWES specified somewhere on the permit document itself, because mine dosen't.

Your answer would be highly appreciated as I am losing my sleep over this matter.

Thanks,

Ed.

champs
Newly Registered

ILR on WP

Post by champs » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:09 pm

Hi Guys. I need a VERY urgent help from you to see if I can obtain a PR.
I am very positive on this since I have most of the evidences.

I came to UK on Work Permit on Feb 2000. Since then my VISA was extended for 5/6 times. I went back to my home country in Aug 2003 (At that time my VISA was valid until Dec 2003) for some project handover, training etc. I was also on vacation initially for a months time. Since my VISA was expired by the time I was in my home country, my company filed a new work permit in January 2004 and I came to UK in Feb 2004. So, In total I was out of UK roughly about 5 months. In total I am in UK for more than 4 years

I have been working with the same company throughout in UK. I have all P60's of 4 years, recent salary slips etc. Also, my employer is not giving me a letter for HO, but I have a similar letter intended for some other reason mentioning they are continuing my employment. Please let me know this is still fine for me to file for PR and what all care or information I need to provide to HO without much hassles.

Much appreciate your help in advance !

Regards,

montgomery
Newly Registered

Post by montgomery » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:52 pm

Hi Edi,

It dosnt actually matter as the application is considered under the same para of law (Para 134 HC395), and the TWES permit is a sub class of a IED (immigration employment document)

Cheers,

Monty

Edi Xeus
Newly Registered

Post by Edi Xeus » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:30 pm

Thanks Monty,

Does this mean that I should go ahead and submit my application for ILR.

And is there a way to identify what sort of a WorkPermit I have from the permit document (either a WP or a TWES).

Regards,
Edrich.

K2004

Post by K2004 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:59 am

hello,

i tried to apply for ILR after 2 years on TWES and 2 years on WP in croydon, the immigration girl, didnt accept it saying that TWES does not count. (that was 1.5 year ago)

you can find out what sort of permit you have by reading your work permit document (a paper with the home office logo on top ).

cheers

Edi Xeus
Newly Registered

Post by Edi Xeus » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:04 am

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your reply.

Well I have the Work Permit copy with me but nowhere does it mention that its a training Work Permit. It simply says its a Work Permit. Did your Workpermit copy had the word 'Training' or 'TWES' explicitly mentionioned on it.

Thanks and expecting your reply,

Regards,
Edi.

uniuni
Newly Registered

Switch to full workpermits

Post by uniuni » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:29 am

Hi Edi

Sorry to interrupt your topic but I want to ask you something.
I posted a topic to ask about TWES 'is TWES right for me?'.

Anyway my question is:
how did your employer apply for a full workpermit when your first permit expired? (I know you're not sure if you had a TWES or full permit but if it was a TWES...)
I just want to know how to switch a TWES to a full permit. Did your employer apply for it in a normal way? Because as far as I understand, under the current rules, after a person completes a TWES period, he/she are 'normally' required to leave the country for 12months before applying for another permit (reference: TWES application guidance notes).

If you know anything about the process, I would be grateful.

Thank you.

Uniuni

Edi Xeus
Newly Registered

Post by Edi Xeus » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:47 pm

Hi uniuni,

When I changed my job, I had no idea what my WP status was. I still do not have a clue, I was told by my first employer that they would be applying for a TWES.

When I approached my current employer for a job all they asked was for my WP and they filed for my application, I got the new WP for a period of 2 years, went to my country of residence and got the visa stamped. Just last year I got an extension on my current WP. There were no questions asked about what the status was of my WP.

uniuni, if yours is a TWES permit can you please tell me is there any information printed about TWES on the permit or does is it just printed as a Work Permit.

Just let me know if you have any more doubts.

Regards,

Edi.

K2004

Post by K2004 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:33 pm

Yes Xeus,

at that time, my permit paper, said clearly on top that it is a WORK EXPERIENCE SCHEME. this is how the immigration woman figured out that I wasnt allowed to apply for ILR (I shouldnt have showned it to her, but she asked to see all my work permits)..

You seem to have a proper permit.

good luck

Edi Xeus
Newly Registered

Post by Edi Xeus » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:38 pm

Thanks Kim,

Finally it seems I got my answer.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Edi.

uniuni
Newly Registered

my TWES

Post by uniuni » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:45 pm

Hi Edi

Thank you for your quick reply.

Well...I actually haven't got my permit yet. My employer will get in touch as soon as getting a response from the Workpermits offce. I'll hopefully receive it soon. So I'll let you know as soon as I find out what is printed on my permit.

By the way, according to your message, you went back to your home country to get a 'leave to remain'. Is it right? Does it mean that you 'extended' your leave to remain there or 'renew' it? Because I probably have to do the same thing. If I apply for further leave to remain, it would take 6-8 weeks apprantly. It would be too long for me because I need to start teaching in September...

I would really appreciate it if you could update me on your ILR application. I want to know whether or not the homeoffice would count the period of TWES, they obviously do it in some cases...(This is only if your first year was under TWES...I really hope not!!!)
I know everything is the homeoffice's own discretion after all...

Thank you. I wish you all the best.

Uniuni

Edi Xeus
Newly Registered

Post by Edi Xeus » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:17 pm

Hi uniuni,

Thanks and no problem,

I came into this country on the 30th June 2000.

I applied for a new job start of June 2001.

I had the option of getting the permit transferred in th UK itself but since I wanted to go to my home country for a visit i opted that the company issue me my WP and I get it stamped in my country itself.

Have you submitted your passport along with your application. As far as I remember I did not but I am not very sure.

In case you have submitted your passport I think you will get your Visa stamped on your passport.

And please try to get on a normal WP as soon as possible.

Let me know if you have any more questions and thanks for your wishes.

Regards,
Edi.

uniuni
Newly Registered

My WP

Post by uniuni » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:54 pm

Hi Edi
Thank you for your reply.

I finally (well it was fairly quick though) got a permit letter! Literally it looks just a 'letter'...not looks like a certificate. Is yours also in a letter format???
My letter actually says:

Immigration Act 1971-The Work Permit Arrangements
Application by: [The name of my Employer]

Thank you for your application to employ [my name], who is currently in the United Kingdom.

We have approved this application against the work permit criteria for for 36weeks.

======

and it follows by some regulations because my profession is a teacher and some restrictions are applied to my permit (i.e. I have not been qualified just yet (estimated in August)so I have to submit my qualification as soon as possible etc).

So my letter does not exactly say 'TWES'.
My employer is not sure if I really got a TWES or full permit, either. They are going to make enquiries soon...

Sorry Edi. I want to ask you one more question.
You said you had got your passport stamped in your home country.
Does it mean that you got your 'leave to enter' stamp in your home country to enter the UK as a workpermit holder???or did you 'extend' your leave to remain (means you got 'further leave to remain'?
Under the current rules, WP application and visa (Leave to remain) application are now separate. So I didn't submit my passport along with my WP application.

I decided to go back to my home country and renew my leave to enter there. I was going to apply for further leave to remain but it would take so long and would not get my passport back before I commence work. (I am unable to start work unless I get a further approval to stay because my current visa is student one)

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

uniuni

Edi Xeus
Newly Registered

Post by Edi Xeus » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:53 pm

Hi uniuni,

Glad to know that you have got your work permit. Only an expert can verify it better, whether it a WP or TWES, but by the information you have mentioned looks like a WP.

Maybe rules have changed, I am not aware that I got any such letter, mine was a letter which said Work Permit with all necessary information about my employer and salary and position..

Regarding your question about leave to remain, I am very much confused about that.

I'll explain what I went through.

June 2000 > Came into this country on a 1 year permit.

Start of June 2001 > Aplied for the new Job, my employer processed my papers and handed me the WP document (took 2 weeks).

Since I was already on my old WP, I was entitled to remain in this country for the remaining days. Once I got my WP document I left for my country and got the visa stamped in the High comissions Office.

Came back to UK end of June 2001 and the immigration officer stamped my passport which allowed me to work here for 2 years.

Hope this is clear.

Regards,

Edi.

uniuni
Newly Registered

New system

Post by uniuni » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:54 am

Hi Edi

The rules and system have changed a lot since your employer applied for your work permit. In fact, my friend got hers just a few months ago but now the system totally changed.

Basically, employers now just apply for work permits. Applications for leave to reamin are now separate. So either employer or employees themselves have to make application for FLR (further leave to remain) once they get 'workpermit approval letters'. (so the letter I've got seems to be just an approval letter not work permit itself).

Anyway thanks for your help.
I just sent my application form for FLR yesterday. I really hope they'll process it quickly. otherwise I'll have a real problem.

Thanks.

Regards,

uniuni

Edi Xeus
Newly Registered

Post by Edi Xeus » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:27 am

Hi Uniuni,

Hope you get your Permit soon and the real one. Emphasise with your employer for a normal WP otherwise it leads to unnecessary headaches after completion of 4 years.

Let me know how it goes and all the very best.

Take care,

Edi.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:02 pm

Came back to UK end of June 2001 and the immigration officer stamped my passport which allowed me to work here for 2 years.
Does that mean your visa expired in June 2003 ?. If that is the case your employer had to apply for an extention sometime last year May.
If you apply for a ILR now, I dont think your application will be accepted.
Talk to your employer and ask them to sort this out by written correspondence. This is only way you can make sure you get your PR smoothly.

Regarding TWES, TWES is something that is issued to medical professionals who come to UK for training, studies and work - all at the same time. The immigration status is different and they do not qualify for ILR after 4 years. I dont think your permit was on TWES, it will be clearly stated on the document when you obtained the visa. Yours should be a proper WP which will entitle you for ILR after 4 years.

ish_78

Post by ish_78 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:52 pm

Hi Uniuni,

congrats for getting ur work permit. According to home office the FLR applications recieved after 15th july will be processed within two weeks.
I have one question for you, how much time did home office people take to process your work permit. My employer has send my application on 5th july and they havnt recieved any information from them as yet.

Thanks,
Ish

uniuni
Newly Registered

WP application

Post by uniuni » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:48 am

Hi ish_78.

My employer applied for my WP around 5th July and got a WP approval letter on the 13th. So it took me about one week. This might be because my profession is in 'shortage occupation' category (teacher).

If your employer still hasn't got anything, you should ask them to contact the WP office (read guidance notes for WP application. it's got a contact number). They are quite helpful.

Good luck. all the best.

uniuni

uniuni
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by uniuni » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:52 am

ish_78,

I forgot to mention that...thank you for the useful info about FLR.
I hope the homeoffice really improved their service and I will get my passport back soon.

Thanks.