ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ladybella67
Newly Registered

British Citizenship

Post by Ladybella67 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:59 am

I have a bit of a strange situation....

I am Australian born in 1982 (June if it matters) to a mother who was born in Scotland July 1960 and an Australian father December 1959.

My mothers parents both Scottish and my dads Grand parents Scottish too. I know I qualify for citizenship, but here is where it gets a little complicated.
My fiancee and I were supposed to move to Amsterdam last month, but it became really expensive so we came to England. He has an Italian passport but I entered England on my Netherlands visa. This is just a visitors visa since I didn't register for my 1 year visa while we were there....

Are u following me?

The Netherlands visa would have changed into a residents visa when I registered but we didn't stay that long. Just 2 weeks.

My questions are :

1- can I apply for British citizenship while I'm here and on the Netherlands visa or do I need to change visas first?

2 - do I even need to go through the citizenship registration first or can I just go ahead and apply for a passport?

3- can I marry my fiancée here in the UK if I'm just on a visitor visa?

I can't apologise enough for the long winded life story, but any information u may have would be more than appreciated

Tonnes of thanks in advance!!!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:58 am

You can't enter the UK on a Dutch visa. Your Dutch visa is irrelevant. You probably entered the UK on a 6 months visitor visa.

As you were born abroad before 1983 to a Britsh mother, you are not British from Birth but can apply to register as British using form UKM. See Born to British mother before 1983. The application can be made from the UK (or abroad).

How long have you been living with your Italian partner? If over two years, you may wish to apply for a Residence Card in the UK as unmarried partner of EU national.

Ladybella67
Newly Registered

Post by Ladybella67 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:07 pm

I don't have a visa for the UK. I didn't apply for anything. I just came here with the visa I had for the Netherlands. The lady at border control asked me how long I was going to stay here and I said 1 month. We thought we would go back to Amsterdam but decided not to.
She was reluctant to let me go throug but she did obviously. She and some other ladies at border control chat for a minute about it then she stamped me and let me come through.
Do I need to apply for a British tourist visa? Can I?
Perhaps I should seek advice from a consulate? My own or a British consulate?

Also, my fiancée and I havent lived together for a whole two years. Just 12 months.