ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

girlfriend allowed in with Tier 2, I was sent home... help

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CLT-2012
Newly Registered

girlfriend allowed in with Tier 2, I was sent home... help

Post by CLT-2012 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:31 am

long story but i hope i dont leave anything out

In early 2011 my girlfriend and I (both US citizens) decided to experience Europe before I went back to school. She found a job as a travel nurse in the UK so we decided to take a vacation there first and make sure we wanted to commit to 6 months (2 contracts). We traveled to Iceland, the UK, France, and Italy with no issues then came back home to the states in order to complete her Tier 2 visa.

After receiving some misinformed advice I applied for a dependent work visa under her Tier 2. We were told that since we were planning weekend trips to other parts of Europe on her days off I would likely be refused entry without a dependent visa. Our original plan was to stay in the UK for six months, though we did not need the additional funds, I thought it would be a good experience to pick up part time work in another country. My visa was denied because we do not have documentation as to the length of our relationship and the UK Border Agency was not satisfied with the evidence we provided (lease agreement from a year ago, joint bank account, and 20 or so pictures from our years of travel). They stated that we had to provide proof of a minimum two year relationship akin to marriage. If we had known this I would have never applied for a dependent work visa. My fault but I was taking someones word who deals with this stuff often.

We saw my refusal of entry clearance as a minor setback in which I would not be able to work and continued with our already paid for travel plans. We did not understand that it put my acceptance as a visitor in jeopardy.
Upon arrival to the UK mid August we were stopped by the Border Agency and questioned about our travel plans. I was very upfront and honest explaining I was denied a dependent visa but we were only staying there for the 6 months I thought I was permitted as a US Citizen. They said they had further questions and took me into a room to be questioned and let her pass through. 10 to 12 hours later, they informed my girlfriend that I would be on the next flight back to the US and we would not be able to see each other. They told her due to the fact that I had been denied a visa I would not be allowed entry into the UK for a year but they did not mention this time restriction to me, they said I was denied entry NOT banned. They also stated that because she had a visa this, to them, meant that my intention would be to stay longer than six months. I again explained our intentions, however they stated that we had no evidence to prove any of it was true. I now understand this was a big mistake on my part. I was thoroughly unprepared to provide the documents they wanted or a return travel ticket supporting our intentions to leave within a six month period.

Our plan has changed to a 3 month stay so i can attend school earlier. Please correct me if im wrong but, I plan to apply for a visitor visa for a 3 month stay while she finishes her contract. I will provide a cover letter explaining the events that caused me to be denied a dependent work visa earlier this month and sent home by the border agency. Documentation in an acceptance letter for the school i will be starting 11/1/12. Bank statements showing adequate funds to support myself through my stay and travel home. My girlfriend has written a letter of intent to support me by providing meals, housing, ect. she also intends to send 6 months of bank statements, a copy of her visa, her proof of housing, and contract stating how long she will be working for the nursing agency along with how much money she will make. Her nursing agency is working on a letter of support for my visa approval.

What im asking is would a visitor visa be my best option?
Am i considered a general visitor even though i intend to stay with her?
What are my chances on being approved for a visa?
Do i really have to wait a year (that was not implied to me or written)?
Am i missing anything that i should include with a visa packet?

thanks in advance
chris

CLT-2012
Newly Registered

Post by CLT-2012 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:50 am

170 views and no replys?

scrat
Newly Registered

Re: girlfriend allowed in with Tier 2, I was sent home... he

Post by scrat » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:29 pm

do you have an american pass? i'm not sure whether you're allowed to apply for a visitor visa under a us passport.
your best option is a visit but then you wouldn't know whether you'd be allowed in or not as anyone can be rejected when they arrive to the airport and theres no way of checking it before (not that i know of).

so best thing to do, a letter from your girl friend (because you're not married, you can't get a dependant visa) stating that she''ll provide accommodation (best if original). if you're paying for your visit, then sufficient amount of money required for the trip in your bank statements (has to be past three months, and ideally not less than a certain amount in that three month. i don't know the correct amount but something between 800-1000 per months is a good estimate) also book your return flight. you will not be allowed to work in UK with that visa.

thats all i know. hope it helps. x