ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

180 day rule for ILR

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SureShot

180 day rule for ILR

Post by SureShot » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi All

I just came across this thread mentioning that the maximum number of days spent outside of UK is limited t 180 for ILR eligibility.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=111829

I have done extensive search on the ukba website and have not found any such information.

Can someone who has a link to this or has been through ILR please confirm if this is the case.

Thanks a lot.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:23 pm

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

No single absence abroad must be for more than three months at a time and any periods of long absence must not total more than six months

SureShot

Post by SureShot » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:23 pm

Lucapooka wrote:http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

No single absence abroad must be for more than three months at a time and any periods of long absence must not total more than six months
Thanks a lot for the reply mate. But doesnt this apply only where contineous residence is broken. As the heading suggests.

Taking my case for example I spent 77 days out of the uk in my first year of stay on vacations alone mostly doing weekend trips to europe (friday evening out monday morning in) and 2 long haul trips back home for 16-17 days each.

But leagaly these can not even be considered as break in residence as the visits made to europe were on a non-resident visa and my home country does not treat me as a resident until the end of a 6 month cooling off period if I go back being a non-resident.

And also what does the term "long absence" mean anyway? can anybody justify lets say 20*3 day trips as a 60 day long absense...

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:41 am

Long term absences means in past 5 years the total absences should not be more than 180 days and short term (single) absences means in last 5 year you should not have been away for 90 days continously...

Which non resident visa did you had when you went to europe was it visitor visa?? if yes then that visa period is not considered for ILR..only resident visa (on which you can work) is counted towards ILR...Please also note although PSW is reident visa on which you can work is also not considered for ILR...

hsmp1412
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp1412 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:34 am

SureShot,
It does not matter what your status in any of the countries outside UK was. The only thing that matters is that you were not in the UK for all these holidays abroad and that is what is meant by "absence".

SureShot

Post by SureShot » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:55 pm

hsmp1412 wrote:SureShot,
It does not matter what your status in any of the countries outside UK was. The only thing that matters is that you were not in the UK for all these holidays abroad and that is what is meant by "absence".
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I agree with you that it is one interpretation of absense.

the only thing written in the guidance is below
Other qualifying categories
When assessing if an applicant has met the criteria for five years continuous residence in the UK, short absences abroad may be disregarded, provided the applicant has clearly continued to be based in the UK. For example:
holidays (consistent with annual paid leave), or
• short business trips (consistent with maintaining employment or self-employment in the UK).
and also
Longer discretionary absences in cases where continuous residence has been brokenTime spent here may exceptionally be aggregated, and continuity not insisted upon, for cases where:
• There have been no absences abroad, see calculation of the five year period for settlement, and authorised employment or business in the UK has not been broken by any interruptions of more than three months or amounting to more than six months in total for the whole five year period. Decisions in such cases must be taken at higher executive officer (HEO) level or above, or
• There have been longer absences abroad, provided the absences were for compelling grounds either of a compassionate nature or for reasons related to the applicant’s employment or business in the UK. No single absence abroad must be for more than three months at a time and any periods of long absence must not total more than six months. If the example is work related, evidence will need to be submitted to show that it would have serious implications for the employer or business if the travel had not been undertaken. Where continuous residence has been broken, periods may be aggregated or shortfalls disregarded only with the approval of a senior executive officer (SEO) or Grade 7.
Its obvious that the contineous residence can only be broken is one spends 180 days out of the country. I know this is rather ambigous and can mean different things for different people and the case worked might think adversly... but this is easily contested.

the form SET(O) does ask for the reasons of the absenses totaling to more than 6 months but no where does it say that you will be refused ILR based on that.

It would be useful if someone who has had real experience with this can post what actually happens.

Thanks a lot.

- S

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi Sureshot

If you have absences of over 180 days it is refereed to senior caseworker asking them is it OK if these absences can be disregarded or not...

In this case you are left at mercy of that case worker...there have been instances wherein people with more than 180 absences have been granted visa but you need to have very strong reason to be allowed companssionate leave to be granted ILR but most of the time ILR has been refused...

Everybody wants to play safe that's why we always recommend to follow the guidelines and stay with permissible limit of 180 days for 5 years and 90 days within last 12 months of your ILR applications...

If you want you can search the forum for various instances but do bear in the mind these days this government doesn't like Immigrants although they get huge contribution in terms of taxes and other stuff...

Bearing that in mind if you still want to have a feel of it you are most welcome to do so and take decision accordingly as its going to be your decision

SureShot

Post by SureShot » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi Gaurav. Thanks a lot for your reply mate.
I agree with you on all counts and that is what everyone on this forum seems to interpret. The only thing is that i have not seen this in written anywhere on the UKBA website.

Also when i searched the forum, for "180 days", "6 months" and "ILR Refused" i did not come across a single case where it was refused for small absenses totaling less than 180 days in each year and 450 in total.

Can you please point me to a link if you know of one.

The only case i know if is of an ex colleague who used to travel here and there for small business visits and they totaled up to 402 days in 5 years. She was not asked even a single question and granted an ILR.

I understand that it is better to be safe than sorry and if i spent more than 180 days outside i might potentially be inviting a long legal contest, but then again 5 years of being trapped on this small island with hostile weather is a big issue as well.

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Read the notes on UKBA website regarding this...As I mentioned business trips and paid annual leave are not counted as absences.....paid annual leaves need not to be explained but business trips need to be explained and form part of compassionate leaves if explained properly..

I take your point being stuck on this island but that the decision which you have to take either you can keep extending your work visa and pay the exorbant fees every time you extend your visa or stay within the limit and get your ILR done...the choice is yours....