ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can a Mother of an Irish born child apply for Naturalization

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Post by 110 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi All,

Can a mother of an Irish born / Irish citizen child apply for naturalization based on "IRISH ASSOCIATION"

I recently read the following in the citizenship application form

"Section 16(2) of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, as amended, defines being of Irish associations as meaning 'related by blood, affinity,
adoption to, or is the civil partner of a person who is an Irish citizen"

She has 3 years reckonable residence in Ireland based on stamp 3 and Zambrano stamp 4.

any and all advice will be highly appreciated

cheers

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Only spouses of irish nationals need 3 years reckonable residence. All others need 5 years of reckonable residence, even if they are parents of Irish citizen children. If she already has 3 years, she needs another 2 years before applying.

Post by 110 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:17 am

agniukas wrote:Only spouses of irish nationals need 3 years reckonable residence. All others need 5 years of reckonable residence, even if they are parents of Irish citizen children. If she already has 3 years, she needs another 2 years before applying.
Thanks Agniuskas,

Any one else please ?

Re: Can a Mother of an Irish born child apply for Naturaliza

Post by 110 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 pm

110 wrote:
agniukas wrote:Only spouses of irish nationals need 3 years reckonable residence. All others need 5 years of reckonable residence, even if they are parents of Irish citizen children. If she already has 3 years, she needs another 2 years before applying.
Thanks Agniuskas,

Any one else please ?
I called the Irish Immigrant council, they said based on Irish association, she could apply based on 3 years residency, however the definition of Irish association is ambiguous, they write "related by blood" but does that mean you could apply based on your Irish born child or does it mean something else....

If anyone can shed some light on this, i will be very grateful

cheers

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:29 am

110 wrote:
110 wrote:
Thanks Agniuskas,

Any one else please ?
I called the Irish Immigrant council, they said based on Irish association, she could apply based on 3 years residency, however the definition of Irish association is ambiguous, they write "related by blood" but does that mean you could apply based on your Irish born child or does it mean something else....

cheers
The definition of "Irish association" is both very fluid and ambiguous :) But your investment will be e175 to test the department and see what they have to say. I am certain they will come back to tell you that you are not qualified because, the Irish Association is with your child who incidentally is still a minor. You will suppossedly need a blood "association" with someone who is at least 18years to be able to take advantage of that option. I think the DoJ hide under the thinking that your "blood" association is a child that cannot determine, approve or disapprove of such association.

I came up with the above suggestion because I know someone in a similar situation that tested this option and it came back blank, ambigous and no clear explanation of what "Irish Association" means and why she was refused, except that the situation did not apply to her :)

All the best!

Post by 110 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:24 pm

adlexy wrote:
110 wrote:
110 wrote:
Thanks Agniuskas,

Any one else please ?

cheers
The definition of "Irish association" is both very fluid and ambiguous :) But your investment will be e175 to test the department and see what they have to say. I am certain they will come back to tell you that you are not qualified because, the Irish Association is with your child who incidentally is still a minor. You will suppossedly need a blood "association" with someone who is at least 18years to be able to take advantage of that option. I think the DoJ hide under the thinking that your "blood" association is a child that cannot determine, approve or disapprove of such association.

I came up with the above suggestion because I know someone in a similar situation that tested this option and it came back blank, ambigous and no clear explanation of what "Irish Association" means and why she was refused, except that the situation did not apply to her :)

All the best!
Hello Adlexy,

Many thanks for replying.

I am meeting an Immigration lawyer next week to get her opinion over this, but it seems anything to do with Zambrano is put under a different bucket and even a simple case takes ages to get sorted....

because of this ambiguity I most likely am not going to risk getting my wife to apply at this stage, unless the immigration lawyer has something substantial for me to change my mind.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.