ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

standards

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xxxtieee

standards

Post by xxxtieee » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:07 pm

The standard of commentary in this forum has fallen far below where it was a few years back. Many of the answers and guidance given are based on "guesses" and are packaged as facts. It is disappointing many a times, when these come from the seniors and 'experts'.

It would benefit everyone if guesses are called out as guesses, and facts cited by the source.

Cheers
-xxxtieee-

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: standards

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:11 am

xxxtieee wrote:
It would benefit everyone if guesses are called out as guesses, and facts cited by the source.

Cheers
Examples? Cheers.

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:10 am

Now, please do not take is as a complaint against anyone specific, because it is not. I have seen that the members mentioned below provideding invaluable assistance to others, and I do value their contributions.

However, I will give you 2 examples that I can think of that I know has given the wrong impression to people that I know.

1. A few comments on the following link: http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=113230

Reason: Because, I personally have experience that it is unfounded.

2. http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=111215 the whole thread itself up and especially the authoritative comment from a senior member.

Reason: this was proved wrong by communication from INIS.

What annoys me is that, these comments came across as "facts" and not as they really are = "guesses". I encourage ideas as long as they are stated as such.

Many of the immigrants who use these forums are gullible. Seemingly 'authoritative' comments, coming from senior members would definitely put people on the wrong track.

I know it is not easy to enforce rules when they are subjective, but I believe moderators like yourself can warn the forum about giving false/inaccurate information.

Again, this is nothing personal (I don't know anyone here anyways), just expressing my annoyance, that's all :)

Cheers
Last edited by xxxtieee on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
-xxxtieee-

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 am

Also, the "senior" tag reflects the number of posts made by a member, which is not a parameter to ascertain whether a member in question is an "expert".

Whether one appears to be "one who knows what he is talking about" can only be measured by the quality of suggestions offered by the member in his / her response to queries ... and not the number of suggestions offered / posts.

Inaccurate suggestions are usually questioned by "experts" but it seems that in the particular forum that you seem to be active in (Ireland) this isn't happening (or not happening often enough).

Moderators aren't necessarily "experts" in every area of the various sub-forums so warning someone regarding inaccurate suggestions / guesses depends on whether a moderator is learned enough about the matter in question or the immigration category. For example, I don't even have an iota of information about Irish immigration rules or procedures therefore the only purpose I serve in the Irish forum is to pacify tempers and remove spam ..

That said, I do get the gist of what you are saying. Hopefully a forum member "expert" in Irish immigration will take up the initiative after reading this! :wink:
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks sushdmehta for your reply.

You and I know that the title given to a member is based on the number of posts. Most people who visit the forum (most of them on a short visit I bet) aren't aware of such technicalities.

The rarity in expertise in Ireland forum is understandable, because some areas of the Irish Immigration process has been undergoing some radical changes recently. The general lack of transparency in the overall immigration process also is a contributing factor. This is why most of the comments (over 90%) in the forum as based on hearsay.

For the sake of everyone who visits the Ireland forum, I hope a few experts emerge soon.
-xxxtieee-

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:29 pm

xxxtieee wrote:You and I know that the title given to a member is based on the number of posts. Most people who visit the forum (most of them on a short visit I bet) aren't aware of such technicalities.
I am sure they are not ... so here's the breakdown for anyone interested in knowing:

(Rank - Min. no. of posts)
Newbie - 0
Junior Member - 10
Member - 50
Member of Standing - 100
Senior Member- 250
Sage - 500
Guru - 1000
The s/w upgrades the member's rank automatically when the member reaches the min. threshold.

Caveat - These "ranks" are not a parameter to ascertain whether a member in question is an "expert" in immigration issues.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks for that.

A quick question to moderators. Some forums (none of them rivals I can assure you) like XDA Developers have what they call a 'Thanks Metre.' It counts the number of times a person is thanked. It isn't fool proof but it is a better gauge for expertise or 'being genuinely useful'. Could that or something similar be implemented here?

'Thank' and 'Unthank' OR 'Like' and 'Dislike' options.

just a suggestion.

Cheers
-xxxtieee-

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:53 pm

I think part of the problem lies in the unbidden, non-removable appellations of Senior or Guru that are automatically applied to anyone who posts often. I have no desire to be named in this manner and would appreciate a way to disable it. Posting 1000 thumbs-up or smiley emoticons means you get to be considered an expert by those who don't know any better and accept on merit the titles given out automatically. Furthermore, comment should be limited to the public domain so that incorrect information can be challenged. Taking advice by PM is completely at one's own risk. For all anyone knows, my content could coming from a couple of teenagers, laughing our heads off at the havoc we are wreaking on the hapless with our comments! It needs public scrutiny if it is to be held in any value.

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Lucapooka wrote:I think part of the problem lies in the unbidden, non-removable appellations of Senior or Guru that are automatically applied to anyone who posts often. I have no desire to be named in this manner and would appreciate a way to disable it. Posting 1000 thumbs-up or smiley emoticons means you get to be considered an expert by those who don't know any better and accept on merit the titles given out automatically. Furthermore, comment should be limited to the public domain so that incorrect information can be challenged. Taking advice by PM is completely at one's own risk. For all anyone knows, my content could coming from a couple of teenagers, laughing our heads off at the havoc we are wreaking on the hapless with our comments! It needs public scrutiny if it is to be held in any value.
You have a point. words like "Guru" and "Sage" connotes Expertise than Experience.
-xxxtieee-

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:15 pm

You raised some very good points. Personally, I try to post links to information where appropriate, but it is not always necessary to do so. If I am expressing an opinion, I try and state that.

Anyone who receives information on a public forum such as this should try and use it as a torch to clarify points or to find further information.

You can do your bit, you could point out errors to others or at least ask the question "are you sure"?

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:00 am

I agree that those 'expert levels' should go away. Awarding credentials by way of a simple account based counter is obviously silly and doesn't tell us anything about the person behind the account. For the 'Guru' there is apparently no way to delete the status except creating a new account.

But I do not think that a thanks metric (or actually a 'Like' button) is of much use. Such a system would obviously require the cooperation of the person asking the question. Incidentally, someone here posted a link to another forum where a moderator had well over 9000 posts but less than 400 thanks. So what does that tell us about that person? It may be frustrating to those who help but get very little thanks. What may be helpful to one may not be helpful to someone else. Finally, gratefulness is not a measure for the quality of an answer. Some people tend to like those answers best that tell them what they want to hear.

There is probably very little that could be done to increase the quality of answers. One possibility that comes to mind, similar to what has been said above, is more self-discipline among the long term members and moderators, e.g. being more observant to what has been already said in a thread and avoid redundant posts that add no value to a discussion.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:35 pm

sum1 wrote:For the 'Guru' there is apparently no way to delete the status except creating a new account
This would no be not allowed according to forum rules - see here.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=11811