ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Driving on International Licence

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sinner

Driving on International Licence

Post by Sinner » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:17 am

Good Evening.

I am in UK since March 2010 on student permit. In June 2012 I went back to my home country and came back in July 2012 when I also got my refugee status.
As per DVLA requirements I can drive upto 12 months on International Driving Permit from the date I started living here as a resident if I am not wrong. Now my question is when my residence will start. March 2010 or July 2012? as previously I was on different visa and now I got different visa. My BRP card starts from July 2012. Please advise.

I have read on https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q417.htm?letter=D

A temporary visitor can drive in the UK for 12 months from your date of last entry into the country. This 12 month period starts again if you leave then re-enter this country.

If you are staying any longer, or become a resident, you should take the theory and practical tests before the expiry of the 12-month period. You should not drive after 12 months, if you do you are liable to prosecution.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:40 am

"Student" and "visitor" are two different categories.
See Use the 'driving in GB' interactive tool

When was the IDP in question issued and how long is valid for?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:52 am

March 2010. It doesn't matter that you left and came back unless you have been out of the country for 6 months which resets your residency for driving licence purposes.

Sinner

Post by Sinner » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:42 am

Nabeel
You are classed as resident if you are free to remain in the UK without restrictions and would not include the previous temporary visit or when you were a student.
From what you have said this would be from July 2012.
If you have any doubts about your residency start date then you would need to contact the Immigration authorities which issued your permits.
Regards,

This is a reply I received from a question asked at askthepolice.co.uk

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:43 am

Along similar lines, my partner currently does not have UK driving license, she has only Indian.

Living in UK as WP dependent since Dec 2007, with no breaks.

Per the link above, 'driving in GB interactive tool', is she considered a resident at this stage, without ILR (applying Nov 12), or is she going to be classed as resident after ILR?

Does her 12 month allowance start on Dec 07 (currently classed as migrant worker dependent) or after ILR when she would be properly classed as resident ?
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:10 pm

wpilr_nov12 wrote:Does her 12 month allowance start on Dec 07
Yes.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!