ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2 years business trip outside UK for ILR (10 year route)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kanasyy
Newly Registered

2 years business trip outside UK for ILR (10 year route)

Post by kanasyy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:35 pm

I am currently on a Tier 4 visa. I first entered the UK in July 2002 and have been residing mostly in the UK since.

There is one long trip away from the UK, however, when my university sent me to Switzerland to work on my experiment as part of my research project. The trip lasted for 2 full years, from 2007-2009.

I am wondering if that 2 years count as a break in the continuous residence, since it breaches both the 6 months and 180 days criteria, even though it is for business purpose?

It would be great if someone could give an advice on what's the best way for me to apply for the ILR.

Regards

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Yes. You will need to switch into another immigration category, and complete the necessary residence period, if you expect to be eligible for ILR.