ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dover - Calais by car and residence card - any info?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

funkyronster
Newly Registered

Dover - Calais by car and residence card - any info?

Post by funkyronster » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi everybody, have read the thread with interest.

It seems that most problems are about airline check-in staff who don't know the law.

We want to travel by car to Portugal using the Dover Calais ferry. French immigration is on the Dover side, prior to embarkation.

As this is such a busy route, I would assume that they know their stuff.

Does anybody have any experience of driving to France through Dover?

I am UK man with Non EU wife, she has UK normal residence card.

Cheers

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Dover - Calais by car and residence card - any info?

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:43 pm

funkyronster wrote: It seems that most problems are about airline check-in staff who don't know the law.
Airline check in staff are afraid of getting fined, it is not a question of them not understanding or not wanting to understand the law. The directive makes provision for free, facilitated visas for those who require them.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Dover - Calais by car and residence card - any info?

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:44 pm

funkyronster wrote:French immigration is on the Dover side, prior to embarkation.
If you can prove entitlement at the border, you should be admitted under article 5.4. I've no personal experience of this, I'm afraid.

evil_grrrl666

Post by evil_grrrl666 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:34 am

This doesn't necessarily help because it probably doesn't happen all the time, but I have found on two separate occasions that the French border control in Dover were not bothered about doing any checks at all. One time they just waved us through without looking at our documents, the other time there wasn't even anyone there and all the cars just drove right through to the ferry.
But just to be sure, make sure your papers are in order in case they ask questions.

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:45 am

Of course, papers should always be in order. But it is not unusual that ferry ports are unmanned. Some of them rarely.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:08 pm

sum1 wrote:Of course, papers should always be in order.
Excellent point.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:49 pm

I agree that often the French border guards are not even bothered to be in the booth. Kind of sad, and sometimes you actually WANT somebody to stamp your passport.

As always when doing anything "unusual" with European free movement, it is important to carry the marriage (or birth) certificate that proves the relationship with the EU citizen and be aware of the power of MRAX: http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... to-travel/