ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is called Investment

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jiwa81
Newly Registered

What is called Investment

Post by jiwa81 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi
Its says you need to Invest £50,000 in business
What is called Investment?
Can we use following as Investment
Renting house on Business Name and paying rent

1) On going RENT is called INVESTMENT?
2) On going pay EMPLOYEE (wages) called INVESTMENT?

What else we can use/counted towards Investment

Can any one can put highlight on this issue your thoughts will be very appreciated.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:44 am

Investment is an injection of a capital sum into the business. This does not have to take place before applying for the residence permit. How the business chooses to spend its capital (which has been credited to its account) is then a matter for the business.
Last edited by Lucapooka on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jiwa81
Newly Registered

Post by jiwa81 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:38 pm

first of all Thank you for your reply

Second so you mean I can use above mentioned as Investment

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Have you understood the part about seeding the money into the business and then the business being free to spend that capital on assets? If you put 50K into your business and then use that money to rent business premises, that is your decision.

Rehan Ansari
Newly Registered

Post by Rehan Ansari » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:09 pm

So i understand that the investment (200k in my case) does not necessarily have to include fixed assets, instead it can be wholly comprise of merchandise inventory, advance to suppliers, accounts receivables from the buyers and business expenses such as wages, rents etc. Can pl anybody advice me on that?

monolyte

Re: What is called Investment

Post by monolyte » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:33 pm

jiwa81 wrote:Hi
Its says you need to Invest £50,000 in business
What is called Investment?
Can we use following as Investment
Renting house on Business Name and paying rent

1) On going RENT is called INVESTMENT?
2) On going pay EMPLOYEE (wages) called INVESTMENT?

What else we can use/counted towards Investment

Can any one can put highlight on this issue your thoughts will be very appreciated.
THE ANSWER IS 'NO'. IT IS CLEARLY STATED IN THE T1 E POLICY. GO AND STUDY IT CAREFULLY.

Rehan Ansari
Newly Registered

Post by Rehan Ansari » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:05 pm

what do u think of my understanding if i invest full amount?

hammad ahmad

Post by hammad ahmad » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:19 am

I think i might be able to help. I am no immigration expert so plz dont rely on my answer.
The investment in a company can be either debt or equity. The UKBA requires Equity investment. Where after a certain time period you will have to inject that amount into your company.
If you inject equity in your company. The effect will be double if you know accounting.
Equity increase and cash increased. Now you don't have to spend that cash if your business does not require purchases or anything. The cash would be shown as equity investment but now the cash is not your its the companys. you will get you money through dividend.
Another way to invest ( lend your money)is through directors loan. Where you as the director of the company has provided loan to your company.
Accounting entry. Cash Increased and Liabilities increased. But the loan is subordinated to the cliams of other creditors meaning the director loan would be paid after the cliams of other creditors in case of liquidation.

Rehan Ansari
Newly Registered

Post by Rehan Ansari » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:26 am

Thnx for reply, now Pl advice if the investment of GBP 200k is justified & according to the immigration rules in the following scenario.

I have Tier 1 Entrepreneur immigration visa(200k). Pl advice:

1. I want to set up an export business and would be working from home. The investment of 200k is mainly to be spent on inventory, advances to the suppliers & accounts receivables of exports proceeds. At any given time, my total investment is expected to be more than GBP 200k.

2. As a trader, I understand that Capital investment can be wholly spent on inventories, advances and receivables and does not necessarily have to be spent on fixed assets. Please clarify the term “capital investment”.

Ahmed25

Post by Ahmed25 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:18 pm

For me and what I understand from Hammad comments. You just need to put the money in you company account to meet the 200k investment requirement. Because once the money submitted in to the company account you cannot take it out in a normal way you have to pay tax etc.

Rehan Ansari
Newly Registered

Post by Rehan Ansari » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I think u r right as i just read in the policy guideline, it is saying....

"101. If some of the money has been invested into a business in the UK, the balance of funds
must be held in a regulated financial institution and disposable in the UK. In this case you
should use the evidence required for the previous investment of money together with the
evidence required for your access to the balance of sufficient funds to meet the requirement."
Ref: Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Policy Guidance version 01/2013 Page 22 of 52[/u]

entreprenuer11
- thin ice -

Post by entreprenuer11 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Lucapooka wrote:Investment is an injection of a capital sum into the business. This does not have to take place before applying for the residence permit. How the business chooses to spend its capital (which has been credited to its account) is then a matter for the business.
@ Lucapooka
Can the injection of capital sum of 50 k be done in installments? For instance if i transfer 5 k from my personal account to my business account every month over a period of 10 months. Will this be a satisfactory investments?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Within the 3 years. You can't extend unless all of the capital has been invested in the business.

entreprenuer11
- thin ice -

Post by entreprenuer11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:16 am

Thanks

rahulsingh1

Post by rahulsingh1 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:59 pm

important to note the following here. There are 2 parts to the equation, which you need to complete.

1)Txfr money into company account.
You need to transfer the 50k/200k from your personal bank account to company bank account. This transfer's proof would be your company's bank account statements(during exntention).
- now there are 2 ways to transfer(in legal terms i.e.).
1) you do a straight forward investment into the company. But the downside is, thatyou cannot take it out. You have to pay 20% tax(at least) to take it out as dividend.(which is not the best way)
2) The second method is to do a director's loan agreement(any accountant can do the paper work for you). In this case, you give a loan to your own company. The advantage here is, you can take the money out, without paying tax. As the company is returning the money it borrowed from you.

2)Spend this money.
UKBA clearly expects your company to then spend this money in the UK.
There are restrictions, your company cannot buy a residential house with that money. And it cannot pay you(the investor/owner) with that money.
Barring this, you can pretty much spend on anything. But you need to spend. Earlier there was no regulation as such. But this has changed with the 31st Jan change.

Jabs

Post by Jabs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 am

rahulsingh1 wrote:important to note the following here. There are 2 parts to the equation, which you need to complete.

1)Txfr money into company account.
You need to transfer the 50k/200k from your personal bank account to company bank account. This transfer's proof would be your company's bank account statements(during exntention).
- now there are 2 ways to transfer(in legal terms i.e.).
1) you do a straight forward investment into the company. But the downside is, thatyou cannot take it out. You have to pay 20% tax(at least) to take it out as dividend.(which is not the best way)
2) The second method is to do a director's loan agreement(any accountant can do the paper work for you). In this case, you give a loan to your own company. The advantage here is, you can take the money out, without paying tax. As the company is returning the money it borrowed from you.

2)Spend this money.
UKBA clearly expects your company to then spend this money in the UK.
There are restrictions, your company cannot buy a residential house with that money. And it cannot pay you(the investor/owner) with that money.
Barring this, you can pretty much spend on anything. But you need to spend. Earlier there was no regulation as such. But this has changed with the 31st Jan change.

Couple of things need qualifying here.

Taxation is only applied on the operating profit (Gross Profit - Overheads) not on your initial capital (money you transfer) in the bank.

There is no mention (unless you can point to this for myself and others) about transferring the lump sum of £50/200K, if you transferred, let's say £20K and made decent sales and then reinvested SOME of your profit each year, that you are allowed to keep at end-year for reinvestment.

In simple terms if you can show your business overheads (employee wages, office rent, pool car and so on) of £50K/£200K and how you met these overheads whether through reinvest from profit or initial capital then that all is required.

Transfer money to your business account in small chunks as when you need it, this will mitigate any risks in case your company is forced to be wound up (liquidation).

rahulsingh1

Post by rahulsingh1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks Jabs- yes agree with all you said.

Either reinvestment or fresh , both are fine.

And also that you can transfer in Chunks. Transferring all of 50k/200K in one go is not necessary. Would be foolish to do that anyway as you said.