ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EC for People in the US (post HSMP approval)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

uk4James

EC for People in the US (post HSMP approval)

Post by uk4James » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:12 am

This topic should cover any information helping people apply for the Entry Clearance process within the US after receiving HSMP approval. What forms should be filled out? What kind of proof should be offered? Is it better to apply online and ship your passport in or to go in person for an interivew? Any comments?

First, does anyone have the links to the newest forms for HSMP EC?

THANKS!
-UK4James

uk4James

Post by uk4James » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:13 am

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct place to apply for EC online once you have HSMP approval from the United States?

http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ApplyNow. ... =Apply+Now

thanks,
Uk4James

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:13 am

The BHC has official websites for most of the coutries, and I think for US it is http://www.britainusa.com/

You should get the relevant information there.

regards

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:20 am

Here's the Britain-US website for applying visa for HSMP:

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/article ... 8&L1=41000

uk4James

Post by uk4James » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:32 pm

Thanks for the information!

I applied online and now have to send certain things to the office in New York. I am not sure if I understand what some of them are asking for? Can anyone help?

·If you are in the US - Valid US Immigration Status (originals not copies) e.g. Permanent Resident Card, Advance Parole Document, H1B visa, F1 with I-20 etc
?????
Is this refering to my Birth Certificate or my Social Security card? Otherwise I don't understand what they are asking for.

·either a letter confirming your period of leave from your employer together with salary slips for the last three months or a certificate confirming you have continuing studies or if you are self employed, evidence of your business.
?????
My period of leave? I am leaving my job completely to come to the UK and find a new job. Do you think I can provide my letter from my employer that I used with my HSMP application? or are they asking for something different? Do you think that if the pay slips are on company headed paper that is enough and it doesn't have to be signed by my employer?

Thanks for your help!
-uk4james

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:33 pm

Did you apply from the link I provided above? I didn't see the questions you posted.

In the link, you should select:

- Permit-free Employment
- Highly Skilled Migration Programme

gypsyinabigtown
Newly Registered

Confusing statement

Post by gypsyinabigtown » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:34 am

Hi,

I am a Turkish citizen currently resident in USA under H1-B visa.

I wasn wondering if it is possible for me to obtain EC following HSMP approval in USA as well or do I HAVE TO go back to Turkey for the application?

The BritainUSA website appears to allow online visa applications from non-US nationals who are legal residents in US. In fact, 2 years ago I was able to successfuly apply for a visitor visa to the UK in USA, while I was holding an F-1 visa.

However, the notice at the following webpage has left me in doubt:
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... p_faq.html

------
16. How long have I got, after a successful application decision, to enter the UK?

You must apply for Entry Clearance at a British Embassy within your own country and within 6 months from the date of your approval letter.
------

Has anybody who is not a US citizen successfully been able to apply for EC post-HSMP approval within USA?

Thanks a lot everyone for any help.

Cheers!

mkopff
Newly Registered

How long will they hold my passport?

Post by mkopff » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:33 pm

Hi. I hope this isn't a repeated question, but I have just received my HSMP approval (issued Nov. 20). I live in New York City. I would like to get my entry clearance overwith, but I am wondering how long will they hold on to my passport? I travel a lot for work and can't be without it for very long.....

I assume the online application for the EC is relatively painless (I filled it out part way), and then it sounds like I need to send/take my supporting documents into the British Embassy. Approximately how long is their process? I mean, are we talking weeks, one week, a few days, one day, a few hours?! I need to plan this carefully to make sure I have my passport back before I need to travel.

Secondly, I assume that while I am waiting to apply for entry clearance that I can still travel to London? I am not planning on going there long-term (yet) but need to travel there short term for other commitments. I was told at one point that I WAS allowed to travel there while waiting for my HSMP approval to be processed, but hopefully that is still true now that I've received it and am waiting for a convenient time to submit my passport.

Ack. This is all so incredibly complicated. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

uk4James

Post by uk4James » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:49 pm

mkopff,
I would say that you set up an appointment instead of submitting your passport by mail. Especially since you are in New York city. In that case, they will put your paperwork into the passport while you are there during hte meeting. If you don't want to part from your passport, that would be my suggestion.
As for traveling to the uk, I am not sure how that works, but I would assume that it is ok as long as you aren't coming into the country with your visa to work at that time. I would call the 1-900 hotline to get this answer for sure though. I wouldn't want to take any chances with that one.

-uk4james

lanwarrior

Re: Confusing statement

Post by lanwarrior » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:43 am

gypsyinabigtown wrote:Hi,

I am a Turkish citizen currently resident in USA under H1-B visa.

I wasn wondering if it is possible for me to obtain EC following HSMP approval in USA as well or do I HAVE TO go back to Turkey for the application?

The BritainUSA website appears to allow online visa applications from non-US nationals who are legal residents in US. In fact, 2 years ago I was able to successfuly apply for a visitor visa to the UK in USA, while I was holding an F-1 visa.

However, the notice at the following webpage has left me in doubt:
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... p_faq.html

------
16. How long have I got, after a successful application decision, to enter the UK?

You must apply for Entry Clearance at a British Embassy within your own country and within 6 months from the date of your approval letter.
------

Has anybody who is not a US citizen successfully been able to apply for EC post-HSMP approval within USA?

Thanks a lot everyone for any help.

Cheers!
Please read the HSMP Guidance, which state:

The entry clearance application should be
submitted to the British Embassy, High
Commission or Consulate in either your country of
origin or country of residence.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:51 am

uk4James wrote: ·If you are in the US - Valid US Immigration Status (originals not copies) e.g. Permanent Resident Card, Advance Parole Document, H1B visa, F1 with I-20 etc
?????
Is this refering to my Birth Certificate or my Social Security card? Otherwise I don't understand what they are asking for.
Are you a US citizen? If yes, you don't need to include anything. Your passport IS your proof of citizenship.
uk4James wrote:·either a letter confirming your period of leave from your employer together with salary slips for the last three months or a certificate confirming you have continuing studies or if you are self employed, evidence of your business.
?????
My period of leave? I am leaving my job completely to come to the UK and find a new job. Do you think I can provide my letter from my employer that I used with my HSMP application? or are they asking for something different? Do you think that if the pay slips are on company headed paper that is enough and it doesn't have to be signed by my employer?
Did you include the above document? If yes, what was the outcome of your EC? I just submitted one and I am just including the salary slips. This is because I am a Manager in my company and I don't need to request leave, other than notifying verbally to the Executive Management team that someone else is managing my project while I am on leave.