ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation: spouse in the UK less than 5 yrs

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pashka
Newly Registered

Naturalisation: spouse in the UK less than 5 yrs

Post by pashka » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:09 pm

Referring to the requirement of having been in the UK exactly 5 years on the day the application lands on their desk.

I will be able to apply soon, but my wife entered UK a year after me. Both received ILR at the same time.

Can we apply for naturalisation together or does it mean that my wife needs to wait until she's been here 5 years?

Thanks for your advice.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:02 pm

If you get your British citizenship before she's done 5 years, she'll be the wife of a UK citizen and so will be able to apply right there and then.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:05 pm

If I am reading your post correctly, your wife will not qualify at the same time as you - as you say, in order to qualify on the same day as you, she needs to have been in UK on a day exactly five years before the date of application.

HOWEVER! Don't forget you get a "discount" if you are married to a British citizen.... On the day you become a British citizen, she becomes the wife of a British citizen, and would therefore only need to meet the requirement for spouses of BCs - to have been in UK on a day THREE years before her application. So she could apply then.

Alternatively, you could both wait until she has been in UK for five years, and apply together then, which would save a couple of hundred pounds, at today's prices...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

SK1

Re: Naturalisation: spouse in the UK less than 5 yrs

Post by SK1 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:26 am

pashka wrote:Referring to the requirement of having been in the UK exactly 5 years on the day the application lands on their desk.

I will be able to apply soon, but my wife entered UK a year after me. Both received ILR at the same time.

Can we apply for naturalisation together or does it mean that my wife needs to wait until she's been here 5 years?

Thanks for your advice.
Pashka,

I agree with the previous posters...as this has very recently happened to me. My wife has her ceremony date in December (she couldn't make her November booking) and I'll apply again for my Naturalisation thereafter. I was stupid, as I read about the 5 yr physical rule but still decided to put in a joint application...The rest is history, now I have to pay again either as a spouse of a BC or in my own right in 04/2007.

Oh, when will your wife qualify? Remember prices are going up again next year April. So, if I were you try and get yourself approved and your wife application in before then. Otherwise the HO will hit your pocket quite hard. That's why I going to apply as soon as my wife gets Naturalised.

Hope this helps.

SK