ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship - passport of 1st entry not available

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pashka
Newly Registered

Citizenship - passport of 1st entry not available

Post by pashka » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:20 am

Hi,

Had to replace the passport that was used to enter UK 5 years ago. All I have left is photocopies of all pages, and only two are certified.

Does anyone know if HO require the original passport used to entry the country 5 yrs ago to support naturalisation application (e.g. to count absences by stamp dates)?

Do they not have this information on the system - what about landing cards?

Many thanks.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:10 pm

For a succesful naturalisation application, you need to have a valid passport which shows your current immigration status in the country.
RE: 1st entry & absent dates, I'm not fully sure but you may have to find alternate evidences ( like NHS-GP or workpermit docs ) to file along with old passport copies. For other absent dates, its deosn't really matter as long as you remember the dates/month that you left & re-entered UK using the old passport.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:12 pm

vin123 wrote:For a succesful naturalisation application, you need to have a valid passport which shows your current immigration status in the country.
RE: 1st entry & absent dates, I'm not fully sure but you may have to find alternate evidences ( like NHS-GP or workpermit docs ) to file along with old passport copies. For other absent dates, its deosn't really matter as long as you remember the dates/month that you left & re-entered UK using the old passport.
You don't actually need a passport to apply for naturalisation and have a successful outcome, this is a quote from the guidance
APPLICATIONS MADE ON THE BASIS OF RESIDENCE IN THEUNITED KINGDOM
Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is
married to a British citizen, 3) years before the date of the application
l The applicant’s passports OR say why you are unable to provide one
on page 14 and supply
l Letters from employers, educational establishments or other
Government Departments indicating the applicant’s presence in the
United Kingdom during the relevant period OR
l (For applicants from Switzerland or the European Economic Area)
evidence of attempts to obtain work during the relevant period
Evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions
l The applicant’s passport showing permission to remain permanently in
the UK OR
l The Home Office letter by which the applicant was given permission
to remain permanently in the UK
you say you have 2 certified pages, what pages are they?

At the end of the day it will be up to you to prove the fact you were in the country on the day 5 years before the application is received by the home office and that can be done by using letters from emplyers etc.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:42 pm

bbdivo wrote: You don't actually need a passport to apply for naturalisation and have a successful outcome, this is a quote from the guidance
The OP said he "entered" UK using a passport 5 years ago, which means his immigration status was then recorded on the passport at a port of entry. I assumed he is applying for ILR via normal 5 year route which means the "OR" status quoted in the rules of providing a reason for alternate evidence has less probable outcome as a successful application.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:22 pm

vin123 wrote: The OP said he "entered" UK using a passport 5 years ago, which means his immigration status was then recorded on the passport at a port of entry. I assumed he is applying for ILR via normal 5 year route which means the "OR" status quoted in the rules of providing a reason for alternate evidence has less probable outcome as a successful application.
He says he's applying for naturalisation ...

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:13 pm

Sorry, my mistake - but that gets me confused. 5 years for ILR or naturalisation....which comes first as of 'now' for the OP?

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:41 pm

Unless married to a Brit cit, naturalisation requires five years residence, and also requires you to have been free of time limits on your stay for 1 year. So anyone affected by the recent 4-5 year ILR rule change needs to spend a total of six years in UK before qualifying for naturalisation.
I assume that since OP is applying for naturalisation now, he/she has already had ILR for one year.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....